Fatal Nsuta galamsey tragedy galvanizes gov't to do more

Fatal Nsuta galamsey tragedy galvanizes gov't to do more

- Government has decided to deploy the military in galamsey prone areas to address the problem

- This follows the death of 17 miners after their tunnel caved-in

- Rescuers are still trying to recover bodies from the caved-in pit

Government has resolved to step up its efforts in the fight against small scale mining in Ghana, commonly known as galamsey, following the recent tunnel cave-in in Nsuta Prestea.

For more of the latest local news on YEN click here

Fatal Nsuta galamsey tragedy galvanizes gov't to do more

READ ALSO: Woyome oral examination - Deputy AG happy over new ruling

Following the death of 17 small scale miners after the tunnel they were working in caved in, the government has resolved to deploy military personnel in glamsey prone area in order to curb the scourge on Ghana's mineral resources and water bodies.

According to Nsuta District Chief Executive (DCE), Mr. Mozart K. Owuh, he was unaware of the ongoing galamsey activities in his jurisdiction prior to the fatal galamsey cave-in. Mr. Mozart K. Owuh stated that news that there was a galamsey operation in the area surprised him since recent efforts had been taken to prevent galamsey operations.

Pay Attention: Get all the latest news on YEN.com.gh

"We never aware of galamsey in the area and I am even surprised there was something like though we conducted a search in the area recently," he said, speaking to Citi News.

Now according to Deputy Lands and Natural Resources Minister, Mr. Benito Owusu-Bio, in order to prevent the recurrence of Sunday's galamsey tragedy government has resolved to deploy military personnel.

Fatal Nsuta galamsey tragedy galvanizes gov't to do more

Galamsey miner descends into makeshift pit

Talking about about the current effort to recover the remains of miners who were killed by Sunday's tragic cave-in, Mr. Owuh said that they were getting closer.

"It is a tight hole that they are in there. Because of this, it is making very difficult to get to where they are. As we speak now, we have been able to bring out one which tells us that we are getting close to them," he said to the media.

Mr. Owusu-Bio also said that rescuers have been forced to use their hands to dig out the bodies because tunnels fashioned by galamsey miners were not properly engineered.

Pay Attention: Get news whenever and wherever you go with YEN NEWS

The Deputy Lands and Resources Minister also emphasized that government initially wanted to educate and sensitize Ghanaians against small scale mining instead of using the military.

"When we started we didn’t want to throw in all our arsenals. We wanted to do what was important – which is sensitisation and educating the people especially with the help of the media and that has worked tremendously," he said.

READ ALSO: No cover-up in BOST scandal - Energy Minister

Do you have any story to share with YEN? Get featured! We are available on Facebook and email via info@yen.com.gh

Source: Yen.com.gh

Related news
NDC responsible for current death in KUMACA; more students in elite schools to die – Prophet releases scary prophesy

NDC responsible for current death in KUMACA; more students in elite schools to die – Prophet releases scary prophesy

NDC responsible for current death in KUMACA; more students in elite schools to die – Prophet releases scary prophesy
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel