- The Ministry of Finance released an amount of GH¢5.26 million cedis towards the celebration of the 60th independence anniversary of Ghana
- Meanwhile, chairman of the Ghana 60 years on committee, Ken Amankwah has said that the 5.26 million cedis was spent on the independence day parade and not the committee
The deputy Minister of Finance, Hon. Kwaku Kwarteng has revealed that government spent over five million cedis during this year's Ghana at 60 celebrations.
According to him, a total sum of GHc5.26 million was released by the government for Ghana's diamond jubilee celebrations.
Speaking on the floor of Parliament on Thursday, the deputy Finance Minister explained that the money was gotten from government sources as well as from the District Assembly Common Fund.
Questioned on exactly how much was generated from donations from the private sector, Mr Kwarteng said: "The Ministry of Finance released an amount of GH¢5.26 million cedis towards the celebration of the 60th independence anniversary of Ghana. This was made up of GH¢3.1 million from government of Ghana sources of funding and GH¢2.16 million from the District Assembly Common Fund.
“Out of the total GH¢5.26 million, GH¢ 3 million went to the office of the Chief of Staff at the Ghana at 60 secretariats while GH¢100,000 and GH¢2.1 million went to the 100 regional coordinating councils and 216 district assemblies respectively."
His comments, though, seem to be at variance with initial statements of President Akufo-Addo which sought to suggest that funds for the Ghana at 60 celebrations would be sourced from the private sector.
Ghana's diamond jubilee celebration was launched earlier this year, but the manner in which it was celebrated has received widespread criticism from the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) who believe the government overspent on the anniversary celebrations.
Do you have any stories to share with YEN? Get featured! Contact us on Facebook and email via firstname.lastname@example.org.