- The puffer fish is highly poisonous and needs a lot of attention from cooking experts
- Four people have died from consuming this fish in the Volta region
The puffer fish has become the most searched fish on the internet ever since it was reported that some four men had died, with many more hospitalized, after consuming it.
The puffer fish is part of a marine and estuarine fishes known as Tetraodontidae.
READ ALSO: Sarkodie appointed as EPA Executive Director
Despite it being a poisonous, the puffer fish can be served as a meal or delicacy when prepared very well.
This is, however, not an easy task, as it requires well-trained chefs to ensure its poisonous parts are removed before the fish it is consumed.
Here are five facts you need to know about the poisonous puffer fish.
1) The liver of the puffer fish is the most poisonous part. In fact, this type of fish is mostly consumed in Japan, however, the liver is not allowed to be sold in the Asian country. In fact, the puffer fish, due to its poisonous nature, has been banned from been sold in Europe.
2) According to the site io9.gizmodo.com, the puffer fish shows its poisonous instincts by swelling up its belly in order to look bigger.
3) The puffer fish is commonly found in tropical and sub-tropical zones, especially in oceans. Some also like to live in fresh waters, with about 120 different spices currently existent.
4) Most puffer fishes taste very bad. This is because they contain a substance called tetrodotoxin, which can also be very poisonous.
5) The poisonous substance contained in puffer fishes have no antidotes and can cause suffocation, as well as a complete shut down of the diaphragm.