The Black Stars of Ghana beat Congo 5-1 on Tuesday to revive their hopes of making it to the 2018 world cup in Russia.
A Thomas Partey hat-trick as well as a Richmond Boakye-Yiadom brace made sure the Black Stars were never truly worried as they put their Congolese counterparts to the sword.
READ ALSO: Asamoah Gyan to retire from Black Stars
However, despite the emphatic victory Ghana still has a long way to go in order to reach next year’s world cup.
Egypt currently lead the table with nine points, followed by Uganda with seven, with Ghana and Congo further below with five and one point respectively.
The current standing has left majority of Ghanaians wondering how the Black Stars could usurp their group E opponents to book a ticket to Russia.
Here is the perfect calculation for you:
- If Egypt had drawn with Uganda yesterday, Uganda would have eight points, with the Pharaoh’s also moving on to seven points.
- However, Egypt won the match and moved up to nine points as Uganda stayed at seven.
- That will mean that Ghana sits just four points below Egypt, and two points below Uganda.
- Now, if Ghana beats Uganda in October and Egypt draw Congo, the Black Stars will then move ahead of Uganda with eight, with Egypt moving to the top of the group on ten points.
- That will mean that the race for qualification will come down to the wire.
- The final group games in November will then have to decide who secures qualification to the world cup.
- Ghana will take on Egypt at home, and if the Black Stars win, then they will move to first position on 11 points.
- However, if Uganda wins as well against Congo, they will also move to 11 points with Ghana, and it will now come down to head-to-head and the goals.
By these permutations, Ghana will qualify for the Mundial in Russia.
Send us a message on our official YEN Facebook group or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YEN is building a platform where Ghanaians can share local news and own experiences with each other.
Witnessing an incident? Want to tell about a local problem? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome.