Ghanaian celebrities have their own preferred political parties, but most of them have kept it strictly private.
Yet, others have shown their political colours to the whole world, and it seems they see nothing wrong with doing so.
Unfortunately, some of them have received backlashes for making public their political affiliations.
Others have decried that their doing so have robbed them of some opportunities, businesses, and others.
In no particular order, YEN.com.gh brings you 10 top celebrities and the political parties they support.
1 . John Dumelo: The fine actor is a well-known National Democratic Congress (NDC) supporter. He has even mounted the NDC platform on many campaign trials to throw his weight behind the NDC.
Recently, he was seen on the streets with Nana Oye Lithur and other NDC members to campaign for the party’s parliamentary candidate for the Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election.
John Dumelo had decried the stigma meted out to celebrities who make their political affiliations known. He said nobody must be subjected to that because of their will to support a political party.
2. Roselyn Ngissah: The beautiful and ‘thick’ actress has shown that she is an NDC member, but subtly. Ngissah has often commented on former president Mahama’s posts on social media, declaring support for him. There have also been many reports in the past that she is a staunch NDC supporter.
3. Shatta Wale: The controversial musician is also a well-known NPP supporter. He is a good friend of President Akufo-Addo. Shatta Wale happens to be the only musician invited by the president to the Jubilee House to be given a gift. Though he has often criticised the president, Shatta Wale has also shown that he would remain an NPP supporter.
4. Gifty Osei: The popular gospel singer is a member of the New Patriotic Party (NPP). However, she had done so secretly until it became obvious after her new marriage. Gifty Osei is now married to NPP’s Hopeson Adorye, and it is automatic that even if she had hidden her political colours, now it is clear for all to see.
5. Tracey Boakye: The Kumawood actress has shown that she is a member of the NDC and she can never hide it. Boakye has been in the news following claims that she was seeing former president Mahama, an allegation she has refuted with all her power. Tracy was also in the news for making a donation to support Mahama’s 2020 bid in the amount of GH₵2,000.
6. Michael Afranie: The popular Kumawood actor is also known to be an NDC member. He had once contested for a parliamentary seat in the Manso Nkwanta Constituency in the Ashanti Region, as an independent candidate.
But in an earlier report by YEN.com.gh, Afranie, like Tracy Boakye and others, made a donation towards Mahama’s 2020 bid. He sent an amount of GH₵1 (One cedi) to the NDC office in the Ashanti Region.
Explaining the motive behind the ‘meagre’ sum, Afranie said Mahama had been his longtime friend. He added that the former president also supported him when he was contesting for MP, therefore, now that he also needed support, he felt it was good for him to give him the ‘little he had’, hence his GH₵1 donation.
7. Mzbel: The veteran musician is also a well-known NDC member. Mzbel herself has declared that: “I was born NDC, I remain NDC, and will die NDC”, according to an earlier report by YEN.com.gh.
Her declaration follows reports of her complaining that making public her political affiliation had robbed her of some goodies. According to her, she has lost business deals, fans, and some opportunities because she openly declared that she was NDC.
8. Yvonne Nelson: Though she has denied ever being an NPP supporter, Yvonne is known to be one. She was in the news recently lamenting that she felt bad about the NPP neglecting her after it won power in 2016.
The actress had led a campaign against Mahama in what she called ‘Dumsor vigil’. She recently declared herself a presidential candidate in a photo she shared together with John Dumelo.
Therefore, it is believed that if Dumelo is NDC, then Yvonne would be facing him on the NPP side. She was also in the news for begging Ghanaians to take it easy with Akufo-Addo because he has two more years to prove he is capable.
9. Caroline Sampson: The popular media personality was in the news some time ago for revealing that she had regretted voting for Akufo-Addo and the NPP in the 2016 election.
Caroline complained that things were not going as she expected under the current government, for which reason she has regretted greatly. By the complaints, it is believed that Sampson is an NPP supporter.
10. Bukom Banku: The comedian and boxer has said on any platform he found himself that he is NDC and support Mahama. Banku also said the former president is his good friend and he would continue to support him. He revealed recently that he sometimes depended on the generosity of Mahama to survive together with his 14 children.
Yenkasa: Fond Memories of Ebony Reigns a Year After Her Death | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.
Click here to get the latest exciting English Premier League news. Get match highlights, reports, photos & videos all in one place.