- The National Democratic Congress (NDC) says the partial lockdown initiated by President Akufo-Addo in some parts of the country has backfired
- According to the NDC, the lockdown should have taken immediate effect instead of allowing several days before its implementation
- The party claims that the delay gave people possibly infected with coronavirus the opportunity to leave the locked down centres for other parts of the country
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has stated that the partial lockdown of Accra, Kumasi, Tema, and Kasoa has backfired.
In an interview on Citi FM on Thursday, April 2, 2020, Dr. Grace Ayensu Dankwa, a member of the NDC’s COVID-19 team, said the lockdown should have been implemented immediately instead of allowing several days before its implementation.
According to her, because the implementation date delayed it gave people possibly infected with coronavirus the opportunity to leave the locked down areas for other parts of the country.
“It was actually a lockdown of the people in the geographical area. So, in other words, it was more like we wanted to quarantine all the people in Accra. So you make an announcement two days, three days that you are going to lockdown Accra on Monday and what happened was more of what we predicted–the human beings that we were sort of concerned about, most of them left the area to other regions in the country…
The way this lockdown happened we think it has backfired in the sense that, the lockdown was not a geographical lockdown,” she argued.
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that President Nana Akufo-Addo imposed a partial lockdown on Accra, Tema, and Kumasi on Monday, March 30, 2020, when he addressed the nation on Friday, March 27, 2020.
Ghana joined South Africa, Kenya, Rwanda, Mali, among other African countries to restrict the movement of citizens in a bid to curb the spread of COVID-19 which has infected over a million people worldwide.
YEN.com.gh also reported that the Health Minister Kwaku Agyemang Manu had stated that 49 patients out of 195 in Ghana had been discharged.
They are said to be responding to treatment and will continue the next stage of treatment from home as they are on their way to fully recover.
Speaking at a press briefing at the Ministry of Information, the Health Minister said these 49 people will be closely monitored to ensure that they recover fully.
Mad rush for gas in Accra following lockdown order| #Yencomgh
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!