- The bond between the ex-president Barack Obama and her grandmother Sarah Obama was seemingly strong
- Sarah died aged 99 years on Monday, March 29
- She will be laid to rest tomorrow (Tuesday) according to Muslim traditions at her home in Kogelo
1. Former United States President Barack Obama's grandmother, Mama Sarah Anyango Obama, died on Monday, March 29, at Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Hospital in Kisumu.
2. According to her daughter Marsat Obama, the 99-year-old has been sick for a while and had suffered a stroke in September 2020.
3. Sarah was the third wife of Hussein Onyango Obama, the paternal grandfather of the 44th president of the United States.
4. Sarah is expected to be buried tomorrow (Tuesday, March 29) according to Muslim traditions at her home in Kogelo.
5. The 44th president of the superpower country last visited his grandmother in July 2018 during his tour to Kenya.
6. The bond between the former head of state and her grandmother was seemingly strong.
7. ODM Leader Raila Odinga said Sarah used her grandson Barack Obama's rise to US presidency to promote the education of girls and fighting social ills through her foundation.
ODM leader Raila Odinga said the country had lost a matriarch who lived ahead of her time and single-handedly kept the family going long after the husband departed.
The hospital’s Medical Superintendent, Biko Opidi, said the facility could not disclose her ailment's nature due to doctor-patient confidentiality.
Source: Yen Newspaper