2019 has been an amazing one for the Year of Return campaign in Ghana with several international celebrities visiting the country to retrace their roots.
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
YEN. com.gh brings some of the international celebrities who visited Ghana in 2019 as part of the Year of Return initiative.
1. T.I. : Famous American rapper, T.I. and his wife visited Ghana in December 2019. When he arrived with his wife and team, T.I. visited some monumental places in Ghana including the Elmina Castle.
2. Lupita Nyong’o : Kenyan Hollywood star, Lupita Nyong’o was spotted in Ghana embarking on a private tour as part of the on-going 'Year of Return' campaign.
Lupita, who is known for the popular role she played in the 'Black Panther' movie, was said to have come into the country secretly - a reason she did not get the usual rousing welcome given to other celebrities who touched base at Kotoka International Airport and passed by the Year of Return secretariat.
3. Hisham Tawfiq : Hisham Tawfiq in 'The Blacklist' TV series acted as Dembe who is the trusted friend, to the main character 'Raymond Reddington'.
In an Instagram post sighted by YEN.com.gh Hisham Tawfiq is seen touring the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park. He is also heard in the video saying "Yo yo yo. We are out here in Ghana. Kwame Nkrumah museum."
4.Danny Glover: American actor, film director and political activist, Danny Glover, was in Ghana as part of activities marking the “Year of Return, Ghana 2019”, a major landmark spiritual and birth-right journey inviting the Global African family, home and abroad, to mark 400 years of the arrival of the first enslaved Africans in Jamestown, Virginia.
5. Samuel L. Jackson: Samuel L. Jackson was in Ghana around August to shoot a documentary focused on slavery in Africa. Jackson, who has starred in over 150 films, arrived in the country from Gabon, where he believes he hails from.
6. Ludacris: American rapper and actor Ludacris, known in private life as Christopher Brian Bridges, arrived in Ghana as part of the 'Year of Return' celebrations in Ghana.
It is not yet known when Ludacris arrived in Ghana but he has already paid a visit to the Cape Coast Castle where the first slaves from West Africa were transported from. A fan who bumped into the rapper at the castle shared a photo with him.
7. Steve Harvey: 62-year-old American comedian and actor, Steve Harvey, who came to Ghana in November made a breathtaking promise to bring many African-Americans to Ghana. Steve came to Ghana to mark the 'Year of Return' which was instituted by Ghana for descendants of slaves that were taken from Africa to return to see and learn about their roots.
8. Jet Li: Legendary Chinese film actor, martial artist, and film producer, Jet Li came to Ghana in November to participate in the maiden edition of the Africa Netpreneurship Summit.
9. Jack Ma: Founder of the Jack Ma Foundation and Alibaba Group, Jack Ma, also arrived in Ghana in November with Jet Li for the Africa Netpreneurship Summit.
10. Cardi B: American pop star, Cardi B, touched down in Ghana in November for her Livespot X Festival performance.
The concert, which has an array of Ghanaian stars billed to perform alongside her will take place at the Accra Sports Stadium.
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that Floyd Mayweather has again put up a massive show of opulence after gifting his daughter Iyanna a new Mercedes-AMG G63 2019 model which reportedly cost a whopping £150,000 as Christmas gift.
The boxing legend has a fully successful career spanning decades and basks in affluence and social prestige benefiting of a sports celebrity.
The former WBC welterweight champion similarly boasts of 50-0 undefeated streaks in boxing history throughout his career, marking him out one of the biggest names in the boxing game.
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!