The topical issue on Ghanaian social media now is the case of one, Kwame Fordjour, giving out awards to some prominent Ghanaians in the name of the United Nations.
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana
Kwame Fordjour, who holds himself as PhD holder (doctor), held what he called the 7th Global Leadership Service to Humanity Awards on Friday, August 28, 2020.
At the awards, 'Dr' Fordjour gave out plaques which had “UN Kofi Annan Excellence Awards” inscribed on them in a bid to draw a link between the scheme, the UN, and the late Kofi Annan.
The awardees were drawn from various spheres of life with entertainers, politicians, business people, among others on the list.
But days later, it has turned out that the organiser of the awards is a shady character who has no connections with the United Nations or Kofi Annan.
This has led to a lot of trolls on social media especially for the award-winning rapper, Sarkodie, and the other entertainers who were also awarded.
While Sarkodie, Berla Mundi, and D-Black's name have been mentioned the most, they were not the only recipients of the 'fake' award.
Other prominent Ghanaians including the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ghana, Professor Ebenezer Oduro Owusu, have all been victims of Fordjour's 'scam.'
YEN.com.gh has a list of some of the prominent people who have been scammed with the 'fake' awards.
2. Professor Ebenezer Oduro (Vice-Chancellor of University of Ghana) in the middle:
3. Berla Mundi (TV3):
4. Johnnie Hughes (TV3):
5. Nathaniel Atoh (Joy FM):
6. Chairman Wontumi (Ashanti Regional Chairman of NPP):
7. S. K. Boafo (Board Chair, Minerals Commission and former Ashanti Regional Minister):
8. Cynthia Akweley Lamptey (Ghana National Fire Service):
9. Christian Adu Poku (DCE of Afigya Kwabre South District):
10. Frederick Acheampong (Executive Committee member of GFA):
11. Alban Bagbin (MP for Nadowli and 2nd Deputy Speaker of Parliament):
12. Ebenezer Kewaw Madugu (Atinka TV):
13. Archbishop Prof. Dr. Asafo-Agyei Anane Frempong (Chief Executive Officer of Asafo-Agyei Hospital):
14. D Black:
15. Natalie Fort (TV3):
16. DJ Black (Joy FM):
17. Gloria Nak Commodore Snr (President of Women In Sports Association of Ghana (WISA):
She is the lady in the photo
18. Sammy Heywood Okine (Ghana Olympics Committee and Ghana Boxing Authority Communications Director):
19. Madam Eleanor Effe Amanor (Nhyira FM):
20. Daughters of Glorious Jesus:
21. Captain Smart (Angel FM, Accra):
22. Kobby Asmah (Editor, Daily Graphic):
Meanwhile, rapper and entrepreneur, Desmond Kwesi Blackmore, known in entertainment circles as D-Black has reacted to the news of his award being fake.
In a post on Twitter, D-Black has lashed out at critics of the award and citation he received last week.
“So ghana ppl ebe say we no like read or what? Lol. Where did it say it was a United Nations Award? Or as u see Kofi Annan’s image and name noor ebe UN Awards. Chale take ur education seriously oo yoooo lol. This ‘Dr.’ is a Character tho”
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page