On the night of the 9th of December 2016, Nana Addo Danquah Akufo-Addo was announced the winner of the general elections, thus becoming the president-elect of the Republic of Ghana scheduled to take office officially on the 7th of January, 2017.
Get the latest news from Ghana here
READ ALSO: Mahama will not contest 2020 elections
However, the road to this historic victory for Nana Addo and the New Patriotic Party (NPP) was not an easy one. The presidential candidate who contested in the elections 3 times before succeeding had to travel the entire country, sometimes under the worst conditions to win the votes of Ghanaians.
Here are 7 pictures that prove that Nana Addo really suffered for the presidency.
1. When he had to at some point during one of his campaign tours, travel on foot through shallow rivers to reach some constituents.
2. When Nana Addo, even though Christian, had to join an Islamic worship session fully dressed and posed. Morale: When you want to win an election, you have to pray through all channels to make sure God hears you.
3. He had to console wailing mourners even when he wasn't in the mood to do so... or so it seems from this photo.
PAY ATTENTION: yen.com.gh has the latest political news from Ghana
4. He had to play a game of cards out on the streets to prove he could "roll on all levels" and could be a president for all.
5. When eating kenkey and hot pepper communally becomes essential for your reputation, you leave you "fork and knife" behaviour at home and dig in with your fingers like a real Ghanaian. It's not easy.
READ ALSO: Let's thank Mahama for his maturity after defeat - Nana Addo
6. After that you push it down with a chilled sachet pure water even though you are used to bottled water in your home.
7. And for refreshment, sometimes the most convenient is what is available and if you have to drink that juice like a thirsty man trekking in the Sahara desert, why not?
So after all the suffering, who is smiling now? Onaapo!