- Ghana is free from the coronavirus for now
- The country's Health Minister says all nine suspected cases have tested negative
- Also the CEO of the country's biggest referral hospital, Kore Bu says the dreaded Wuhan coronavirus cannot survive in Africa
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
All nine suspected cases of the deadly coronavirus recorded in Ghana have proven negative, according to the Ministry of Health.
The minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu in a statement on Thursday, February 6, 2020, allayed the fears of Ghanaians saying the State is doing everything possible to prevent the deadly disease from reaching the country.
“We wish to provide assurance to Ghanaians the government is doing everything possible to prevent and protect against the importation of the virus into the country and prevent its spread,” Mr. Agyemang-Manu said.
READ ALSO: The identity of government official in Airbus scandal unnecessary - NDC
Meanwhile, the Chief Executive Officer of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Daniel Asare has also categorically stated that the deadly coronavirus is not likely to survive in Africa.
According to the Korle Bu CEO, the virus causing the disease cannot survive in Ghana and Africa due to the high temperature in the region.
“Ghana is safe, tourists are safe, Korle Bu is safe. We’re very lucky as a country because of our high temperatures it’s very difficult for the virus to spread,” he said.
Government also says it is making efforts to procure 10,000 pieces of personal protective equipment for frontline health workers as well as plans to procure insurance cover for all frontline health workers who may be engaged to do this work for us.
So far, over 28,000 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed globally, with 565 deaths confirmed, the majority of which has occurred in China.
READ ALSO: Doctors at Korle Bu flee hospital over suspected coronavirus case
No African country has recorded a case of coronavirus yet.
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that the two foreign nationals who were suspected to be carrying the coronavirus in Ghana have been tested and declared negative.
The Chinese and Argentine reported to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital on Wednesday, February 5, 2020, and underwent tests at the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR).
The results of the test were negative and the duo has been declared not infected with the deadly coronavirus.
President Akufo-Addo is a "wicked old man" - Angry protester fumes | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: Queen Elizabeth becomes 5th longest reigning monarch in the world
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.