Berthold Winkler, known professionally as Wode Maya, is a famous YouTube personality, vlogger, and aeronautical engineer. The Ghanaian gained fame when he began making videos about life in China. His visual contents went viral across the world, earning a high viewership on the YouTube channel. Maya's channel is ranked as one of the best in Ghana.
Wode Maya first joined YouTube family on the 10th of January, 2013. The Vlogger soon gained an international audience and attention with his high content videos about his life experience in China. Also, he visits several African countries vlogging about the country's social scene, culture, and travel experience.
Wode Maya profile summary
- Full name: Berthold Winkler
- Best known as: Wode Maya
- Place of birth: Ahekofi, Ghana
- Education: Shenyang Aerospace University
- Nationality: Ghanaian
- Profession: Vlogger and Aeronautical Engineer
- YouTube channel: MrGhanaBaby
- Years active: 2013-present
The early life of Wode and family background
Berthold Winkler was born in Ahekofi, Ghana, where he grew up with his parents. Although he is best known as Wode Maya, he is also nicknamed Mr Ghana Baby because of his excellent skills as a vlogger. The young social media influencer is not from a wealthy background. As a kid, Maya did odd jobs to make ends meet. Nevertheless, the Ghanaian vlogger is proud of his family.
On the 19th of November, 2019, Berthold celebrated his mum's 60th birthday on his Instagram page by uploading a photo of her. He also captioned it with the words: Happy 60th birthday to Wode Maya (my mum).
The popular YouTuber earns an average of $2,000 monthly with an extensive collection of engaging and high visual contents shot in China and other African countries. Wode Maya net worth is estimated to be in the range of $34,000 to $205,000.
READ ALSO: Darkovibes bio: age, net worth, birthday, Instagram, photos
Wode Maya education
After completing his secondary school education, Maya left Ghana in 2012 to further his education in China. Initially, he was billed to study in the UK after getting a scholarship. However, this would not come to reality as he was denied a visa to the UK. Out of shame, the young man left for China. He was admitted into Shenyang Aerospace University to study Aeronautical Engineering.
While in China, Maya started his YouTube channel known as mrghanababy. There, he posted videos about his experience in the country. Over the years, his channel grew in popularity, attracting over 500,000 subscribers and millions of views. He has collaborated with other top YouTubers from Africa and also helped small content creators gain exposure.
Who is Wode Maya's wife? Currently, no information on who Wode Maya wife is as the Ghanaian is not married. Then, who is Wode Maya girlfriend? You might want to ask. Wode has been pictured several times kissing girls in different countries. Hence his relationship status has been a subject of speculation in the media.
However, this was put to rest when Wode Maya and Miss Trudy confirmed they were dating in a YouTube interview with African Tigress in 2019. Miss Trudy is a popular YouTuber from Kenya.
Her journey to stardom started when she gave detailed documentation of the ride from Nairobi to Mombasa, alongside the go-to rural vlogger Kemunto Bear. This was shortly after Uhuru Kenyatta launched the Standard Gauge Railway.
Following her meeting with Wodemaya, both of them have been enjoying a great time together as they ended up as travelling partners, touring the African continent.
Wode Maya Chinese experience
The experiences of Wode Maya in China are catalogued on his YouTube channel. The freelance vlogger/YouTuber usually starts his videos with AIYA MAYA, AIYA WODE MAYA. This is a northeastern Chinese dialect, which means "oh my god" in English. Some of his content on YouTube serves as a bridge between Africa and China.
READ ALSO: Nana Kwame Bediako biography: Age, family, property, educational background, career
Over the years, his videos have made it possible for Africans and the rest of the world to see the experience of a foreigner in China. Some years ago, the YouTuber said he stopped posting his videos on Chinese channels because of the backlash to his clips. Because of this, he has been posting only on his YouTube channel. According to him:
A lot of people that comment on my videos insult me, especially on Chinese social media because many Chinese people don’t want to be corrected.
Wode has, no doubt, walked his way out of obscurity and pitched his tent among notable personalities online. With his YouTubing and vlogging business, he has become a voice among entertainment lovers. Here are some quick facts about him you must not miss.
- Wode is a trained and qualified aeronautical engineer. He left Ghana when he was just 18 years old.
- He is ranked as one of the best vloggers on the Africa continent.
- He travelled out of Ghana to study in China due to shame and frustration.
- His most popular video on the YouTube channel has more than 2.7 million views. This video was posted in 2016.
- He started a movement called African to the world after he graduated from university. The movement was inspired by his desire to
- His main aim of starting this movement was to change the narratives about what the western world, particularly China, thinks about Africa.
- He funded part of his university education with the proceed from his YouTube channel.
- More than ten of his videos have been viewed over one million times.
- Wode Maya's birthday falls on the 3rd of March every year.
- As a famous Ghanaian YouTuber and big-time social media influencer, For instance, Wode boasts of over 48,000 followers on his Instagram platforms. Meanwhile, he hosts a popular channel on YouTube with over 565,000 subscribers.
Wode Maya has maintained his position as a top vlogger in the past seven years. The Ghanaian connects with the Chinese audience because he is a fluent, Mandarin Chinese speaker.
Andrew Paul Nii Amu Darko, best known as Darkovibes, is a renowned Ghanaian music artist who rocks Ghana's entertainment industry. As published by YEN.com.gh, he came into the limelight for his 2016 hit single known as Mercy. The hit song is a blend of an English tune, a hip hop trap beat, and local rap.
His unique ability to embrace various languages, including English, Ga, Twi, and Pidgin, has enabled him to create a niche for himself. His story is filled with inspiration and worth reading.
- Kuami Eugene biography: girlfriend, siblings, education, home region, parents
- Chocolate Kwaku Bediako bio: family, education and life story
- Joey B bio, full name, songs, albums, associated acts and Instagram