The northeast is one of the sixteen regions in Ghana. It is situated in the northern part of the country. The region was created after the 2018 referendum which voted its break off the northern region. There are several districts in the North-East Region with Nalerigu as the capital of the North East region.
The region has a low population density with the official language being English. Most inhabitants of the northern region districts speak a language of the Gur subfamily in the Niger-Congo language family. These language families are Tampulma, Mampruli, Kusaal, Bimoba, Konkomba or Dgabani.
Districts in the North-East Region
How many districts are in northern region of Ghana? The region contains six districts with 4 being ordinary districts and two municipal districts. Here is the list of districts in the northeast region of Ghana and their capitals.
1. Bunkpurugu-Nyakpanduri - Bunkpurugu
The Bunkpurugu Nyakpanduri District is one of the six north-east regions. It was established in August 2004 by Legislative Instrument (C.I) 1748. The area was carved from the East Mamprusi Municipal. It is situated to the north-eastern corner of the region.
The region is bordered by the following:
- Garu District to the north
- Togo to the east
- East Mamprusi to the west
- Gushiegu Municipal and Chereponi District to the South
2. Chereponi - Chereponi
The capital of Cheperoni is Cheperoni. The district was created in 2008, and its district executive is Abdul Razak Tahidu. The region shares borders with the following:
- Gushegu District to the west
- Bunkpurugu Yunyoo District to the north
- Saboba and Yendi Districts to the South-West
- River Oti to the east
3. East Mamprusi - Nalerigu
East Mamprusi is one of the oldest municipalities in the north east region with Nalerigu as the capital. Danladi Adul Nasoir is the district executive. The region shares borders with the following:
- Talensi, Nabdam, Bawku West and Garu all in the upper east region
- West Mamprusi Municipal to the west
- Bunkpurugu Nyankpanduri District to the east
- Gushiegu Municipal and Karaga District to the south
4. Mamprugu Moagduri - Yagaba
Mamprugu Moagduri was carved from West Mamprusi. The district was created in 2012 and inaugurated on 28th June the same year. The region shares boundaries with the following:
- North Gonja District to the west
- Kumbungu District to the south
- Sissala East Municipal in the Upper West Region
- Builsa South District in the Upper East Region
- West Mamprusi Municipal in the Northern Region
5. West Mamprusi - Walewale
Zakaria Sulemana heads west Mamprusi region. It was created under Ghana's decentralization government in 1988. The regions that border this district are:
- East Mamprusi Municipal and Gushegu Municipal to the east
- North Gonja District, Savelugu Municipal and Kumbungu District to the south
- Builsa North District, Kassena-Nankana Municipal and Bolgatanga Municipal to the north
- Mamprusi Moagduri District to the west
There are two settlements in West Mamprusi namely Wulugu and Walewale.
6. Yunyoo- Nasuan - Yunyoo
Yunyoo- Nasuan was carved out of the Bunkpurugu-Yunyoo District Assembly. The region was one of the 38 newly upgraded and created assemblies in 2018. It was inaugurated on 15th March 2018.
Districts in the North-East Region depend on agriculture for their economic activities while the low population results from emigration, climatic and geographical conditions. Most of the region's residents are either Muslims, Christian or associated with the traditional African religion.
Yen.com.gh shared a list of all districts in the Savannah Region of Ghana. The Savannah Region is one of the newest regions in Ghana. It is also the largest. For better governance, it has several smaller units – districts. There are seven districts in the Savannah Region of Ghana, and each has a capital.
Savannah thrives with numerous economic activities, from farming to mining, fishing trading, and more. It is also home to hidden gems such as the Mole National park.