Healthy living, characterized by healthy eating has become the norm. So what if I tell you that you can actually prepare okra or ‘okro’ soup without having to use palm oil. Palm oil contains very high saturated fats. The fact that you avoid using palm oil means that, in addition to making a sweet dish, you reduce the cholesterol impact palm oil has on your body.
Okro soup calories saturation is significantly reduced when you find an alternative for palm oil. Okra soup is a mixture of ingredients that are rich in protein and vitamins. It is a combination of meat and vegetables fused together in the right conditions to make a sumptuous meal. Okro soup recipes vary depending on the ingredients you wish to use, so its preparation when not using palm oil will require to use poultry instead of regular meat.
How to make okro soup
Okro soup is a fairly easy meal to prepare. Okro soup preparation without palm oil is explained below.
Okro soup ingredients.
- 500 grams Okra (make sure they are either finely chopped or grated)
- 7 Chicken pieces
- 300 grams of fresh shrimps
- A cup of Groundnut oil
- Some Spring onions
- Finely chopped white onions
- 3 fresh chili peppers
- Garlic (preferably more than 3 cloves). They should be crushed
- Fresh ground ginger
- 5 ripe tomatoes(you may opt to use tomato paste)
- Salt to taste
READ ALSO How to prepare okro stew in Ghana
Okro soup preparation
- First, you want to ensure your chicken pieces are cooked. Add the ginger, the crushed garlic and salt as the chicken is boiling, cover it and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Boil your fine cut or grated Okra pieces until they are slightly cooked. Make sure you do not overcook because you will still have to cook it further.
- Take a separate pan, pour some groundnut oil and let it boil. Make sure the oil is enough to cook the shrimp’s in. let it not be too much or too little.
- When the oil is hot enough, take the shrimps and add them in the pan. Cook the shrimps for a little while and add ginger powder, seasoning cubes and chili. Let it boil for a while. When shrimps are cooked, they change from their greyish-green color to pink.
- After you are done cooking the shrimp, remove them and place them in the bowl with the chicken.
- Take your sliced white onions and put them in the same pan you cooked your shrimp in. use the oil left after you have removed the shrimp. Let them cook for about a minute then add your tomato or tomato paste. Let the mixture cook for another minute. Add the cooked Okra to the mixture and season the mixture with seasoning cubes. Let it cook for a while.
- After you are done, place the okra mixture in the bowl with the chicken and the shrimp. Add some water and the spring onions to add flavor. If you like your food spicy, add some more chili at this moment. Let the mixture simmer for about three minutes. It is advisable to keep the soup thick.
Positive effects of Okro soup
Okra soup has several advantages and Okra soup nutrition facts are scientifically backed. Okra, as a fruit, is good source of vitamin B6, fiber and folic acid. The presence of fiber makes okra soup good for pregnancy. Fiber helps reduce the chance of preeclampsia in pregnant women.