Technical schools in Ghana, like elsewhere, offer education focused on research and vocational training. The students pursuing the courses are moulded for careers based on a practical approach, and this includes on-job training. Courses in many of the programs are specifically geared towards preparing the students for work.
Technical schools in Ghana are the hub of quality education in the West African region. The country boasts of having the best and unique applied institutions not only in the region but also in the entire African continent. The number of applied schools in the country is a testament to this.
What are the technical schools in Ghana?
To provide students with specific classes that prepare them for a particular career or trade, several applied colleges have been established in different regions for easy accessibility.
Technical schools in Central Region
Several colleges where learners could be trained in specific career fields are located in this region. Some of them being technical and vocational schools in Ghana provide quality education that furnishes students with basic skills to make them stand out.
What is the first technical school in Ghana? It is Asuansi Technical Institute, and the college is located at Abura Asebu Kwamankese District. Other colleges in the region include the following:
- Cape Coast Technical Institute - 109 Inner Ring Road, Cape Coast
- Mankessim Senior High Technical School - R80, Mankessim, Ghana
- Oguaa Senior High Technical School - Ekon junction, Cape Coast
- Social Welfare Vocational School - Amosima, Cape Coast
- National Vocational Training Institute - Biriwa
- Komenda Senior High Tech Sch - Komenda
- Assin North Senior High Technical School - Mankessim - Kumasi Rd, Assin Prasu
Technical schools in Volta Region
Schools in this region offer training in many disciplines. These colleges provide high quality applied and vocational education and also expose students to the world of technology.
Some professionals guide students to acquire relevant practical skills, form good moral habits and develop critical thinking abilities so that they can render better services towards building the nation. Here are some colleges located in this region.
- Keta Senior High Technical School - Keta
- Kpando Technical Institute - Kpando
- Vakpo Secondary Technical School - Nkwanta-Kpando road
- Tapaman Senior High Technical School - Kpando - Asukawkaw road, Tapa Amanfrom
Do you stay within this region, or considering to study here? Below are some applied colleges found in the region:
- Dabokpa Technical Institute - Salaga Rd, Tamale
- St Joseph Technical Institute - Kwahu Tafo, Ghana
- Savelugu Vocational School - Savelugu
- Dagbong State Senior High Technical School - Yendi
- Sakogu Senior High Technical School
- Nalerigu Youth Leadership Vocational Training Centre - Nalerigu
- Yeji Senior High Technical School - Yeji
Upper East Region
If you need an applied college where you will have the opportunity to experience what your future work might be like, consider any of the following schools:
- Zamse Senior High Technical School - Bolgatanga, Ghana
- Bawku Technical Institute - Bawku-Zebilla Rd, Kpalwega
- Zuarungu Nursing & Midwifery Training College - Zuarungu
- Kusanaba Senior High School - Unnamed Road, Kosanaba
- Sandema Senior High Technical School - Builsa
Technical schools in Greater Accra Region
Applied schools in this region emphasise on career development by providing seminars that focus on how to find and get a job and how to create an effective resume, among others.
Also, they are dedicated to the advancement of TVET employable skills for the youth so that they can contribute their quota towards meeting Ghana’s applied human resource needs. The schools focus on raising the skilled labour force for the industrial drive of the nation.
- Don Bosco Technical Institute - Akosombo - Tema road, Tema
- Action Senior High & Technical School - New road, Madina
- Kaneshie Senior High Technical School - Mount Zion St, Accra
- Accra Technical Training Centre (ATCC) - Kokomlemle, Attc, Ghana
- Kinbu Senior High Technical School - Kinbu Road, Accra, Ghana
- Manhean Senior High/Technical School - Manhean, Meridian road, Tema
- Forces Senior and High Technical School - Accra
- Community Development Vocational / Technical Institute - Prampram
Practical schools in this region address the issues of unemployment and lack of a skilled workforce with a market-based approach that is sensitive to the socio-economic needs of marginalized youth.
Moreover, these technical schools in Kumasi and other locations across the region are reputed as part of the colleges that train learners effectively to take leading roles in the marketplace. They include:
- Kumasi Senior High Technical School - West End Hospital Bypass, Kumasi
- Adansi Technical Institute
- Obuasi Senior High Technical School
- Nkawie Senior High Technical School
- Krobea Asante Vocational/Technical Institute
Here are some colleges that you can attend and never regret:
- Koforidua Technical Institute - Fanteakwa, Koforidua
- Adukrom Secondary Technical School
- Suhum Secondary Technical School - Suhum
- Adukrom Presbyterian Senior High Technical School - Salem Street, Adukrom
- Akuse Methodist Senior High And Technical School - Akuse
- Adjena Senior High/Technical School - Asuogyaman-Atimpoku road
- Aburi Presby Snr. High Tech. School - Sec. Tech road
- St Paul Technical School (SPATS), Kukurantum - Akyem Kukurantumi
- Presbyterian Secondary Technical School
- Boso Senior High Technical School
Technical schools in Western Region
If you know what you want to do and it requires a fair amount of hands-on training, you can consider any of the practical schools in this region, including the following:
- Bompeh Senior High Technical School - Axim road, Takoradi, Ghana
- Takoradi Vocational Training Institute
- Diabene Senior High Technical School
- Kikam Technical Institute - Prestea
- Manso Amenfi Vocational Training Institute (Mavotrain) - Manso Amenfi
- Asankrangwa Senior High Technical School - Asankragua - Enchi Rd, Nwanta
- Daboase Senior High Technical School
- Esiama Senior High Technical School
Considering the list of technical schools in Ghana discussed above, you can see that efforts have been made to ensure that every youth has access to practical training. With that, gaining employment becomes easier.
In a related article published by Yen.com.gh, different postgraduate courses that students can take at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology were discussed. You will also find the post worth reading if you need information on the requirements before you can be considered for admission