- Christian Atsu has refuted reports that he had exited the Black Stars
- He said he only asked to be excused from a particular match because he was coming from injury
- News had gone viral that Atsu said he was no longer interested in playing for the national team
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Ghana and Newcastle United winger, Christian Atsu has refuted claims of retiring from the Black Stars prematurely.
On Friday, April 3, 2020, reports went haywire that the former Chelsea and FC Porto winger has communicated to the head coach of the team, CK Akonnor, that he was no longer interested in playing for the country.
According to the reports, Atsu was not impressed with the support offered to him when he got injured during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.
However, Atsu had expressed surprise at the report because he and CK Akonnor had had a fruitful discussion during which he pledged to offer his help anytime he is called upon.
This was gathered by YEN.com.gh in a report by Ghanaweb.com.
The report added that Atsu had asked the coach to excuse him from the Sudan game because he had returned from injury.
"Atsu told the coach he should excuse him from the Sudan game because he just returned from injury but he pledged his support to the coach.”
"I will urge Ghanaians to disregard any reports. Atsu is still a member of the Black Stars and ready to play anytime he is called upon," a friend of Atsu reportedly said.
Meanwhile, Atsu has often been in the news for his benevolent acts.
He paid money to be used to establish jobs and offer relief to some individuals who had been released from prison.
Coronavirus in Ghana: Disinfection of Accra Markets against COVID-19 | #Yencomgh
Have national and human interest issues to discuss?
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.