Former president Jerry Rawlings remains one of Ghana's statesmen who has been appraised as not just accountable and transparent. With his historic handing of power to former President Kufuor after retiring in 2001. But following his recent revelation of receiving a $2 million gift from a former Nigerian president, questions remain whether Ghana's "Junior Jesus" is actually the "Jesus" he is taunted to be.
Here is a list of specific corruption allegations made against Jerry Rawlings.
1. In 1998, where Flt. Lt Jerry John Rawlings was accused of having received a $5 million bribe from the then Nigerian brutal military dictator, General Sani Abacha. According to the story, which The Chronicle pursued vigorously at that time, the said money was brought to Mr. Rawlings by Mr. Ismaila Gwarzo, then National Security Advisor to General Abacha.
2. “It is Rawlings who brought indiscipline into this country, corruption in this country; people chop [embezzled] government money because of Rawlings. He is the most corrupt man,” Northern regional chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Bugri Naabu revealed.
3. "Mr. Rawlings will accuse people of being corrupt when in fact during his tenure of office, he sold Nsawam cannery, a state property to his wife, then first lady, Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings," - Policy Analyst of the Peoples National Convention Atik Mohammed argues
4. "Rawlings hijacked the CPP under the leadership of Mr. Kweku Boateng with commandos because he knew he could use them to form his party. He brainwashed members of the CPP. He deceived the CPP that he was going to continue from where Dr. Kwame Nkrumah left, but that was not true; because we knew it’s the late Acheampong who was rather building on the foundation of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. Rawlings destroyed the CPP to build the NDC." - member of the Council of Elders with the Convention People’s Party (CPP) and former legislator, Madam Elisabeth Enning alleges.
5. Spokesperson of ex-president Kufuor, Frank Agyekum alleges that ex-President Rawlings used state monies to pay for the expensive education all his children enjoyed abroad stating that ex-President Rawlings could now boast of uncountable mansions sprouted across the globe; courtesy state monies.
But could all these allegations be true? You can comment below or share this useful information with family and friends on our Facebook and Twitter pages.