Since its establishment 70 years ago, Ghana National College has stood out as one of the best performing institutions in the country. The first president Kwame Nkrumah, with only eight students who had been expelled from St. Augustine College by the British Administration, started the institution.
After formation of the college, one girl and sixteen boys enrolled as the first students and later became prominent members of the society. They included:
Ghana National College first alumni
- Prof. Francis Kofi A. Allotey – World renowned scientist and former Vice Chancellor, UST
- Mr. Twumasi Ankrah – died prematurely from activities related to his political career
- Prof K. Osei Manu – University of Columbia
- Dr. Asare Berkye – Obstetrician and gynecologist in Cairo, Egypt
- Dr. L.K.A Derban - Rtd. Industrial Medical Officer, Volta River Authority
- Mr. S.I.K. Boakye-Agyean – Charterede accountant
- Mr. Joseph Kingsley Bentum-Williams – First head prefect, and for many years CEO of GIHOC
- Prof. Kofi Amoa Oduro – Professor of Anesthesia at the Ghana Medical School
Ghana National College address
Ghana National College is located in Cape Coast with their address as below:
- Telephone: (233) 04232357
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: P.O. Box: 161, Cape Coast Ghana
- Website: Ghana National College
The institution has merged with the community to ensure it focuses on providing its citizens with the best most formidable background. In turn, students are well prepared to work and live in a global community. Students in this school come from a myriad of backgrounds, and guided by the school’s fundamental principle of equating all people before God.
Ghana National College in Cape Coast
The prestigious school is found on a hill that is 5 miles on the historic Castle town in Cape Coast, the moment you leave the Accra-Takoradi highway. To ensure the needs of each student was met accordingly, the co-ed boarding school offers a combination of elective and core high schools courses ranging from business, languages, and fine arts.
Ghana National college has also won various accolades including reaching the semi-finals in the 2016 national Mathematics and Science quiz. Based on the 2015 WASSCE results, it was placed among the top 20 best performing schools.
After its inception, various focused citizens who ensured it prosperity and fame in Ghana headed the institution, among them:
- Mr. H.P. Nelson who was a tutor at the school until 1952, before leaving to further his studies in the UK with JJ Mensah-Kane
- Mr. Kwesi Plange was the first headmaster at the Ghana National College before leaving to pursue a political career, which earned him a seat as a member of parliament until his premature death at the age of 27. He was in the school from 1948 to 1950.
- Mr. J.J Mensah-Kane became the school’s head from the year 150 to 1952. He went back from 1960 to 1970 when he retired and this helped him to earn good working rapport with the Ghana Education Service Board.
- Lt. Col (rtd) H.W.A.K Sackeyfio was one of the teachers at the Ghana National College until 1952.
Ghana National College houses
Female students occupy eight dormitories on the south side of the school, which overlooks a part of the Cape Coast City. Boys on the other hand live in four dormitories on the north side. Like any African Society, boys and girls were put in separate dormitories and different parts of the campus to maintain the highest form of discipline.
One of the boy’s hostel is Afadu house whose land was provided by the Twidan and Afadu families. It has been nicknamed the royals and has a student’s population of 129, as further illustrated below:
Another perfect house is the Wardbury house now called the Masters flats.
The girls’ houses include:
- Elsie Dadzie house
- Faustina Daniels house
- Charlotte T-plange house
Although an old school, the houses have been well maintained to provide a conducive environment for students learning at Ghana National College.
97% of our 2019 class received job offers after national service with average salaries of 2k-3k cedis
Ghana National College Facebook
Social media and the internet has taken the world at a neck-breaking speed. On this note, Ghana National College does not want to be left behind hence it has a Facebook page that can allow thousands of people to reach them.
On their page they have various positive reviews regarding what they offer such as:
Thanks to this institution am on the right path to becoming whom I have always wanted to be in life.
Ghana National College instills in you the discipline you require and guides you to becoming a self confident citizen
Aside from being a center of excellence, the school helps you how to interact with people at a more personal level
All these positive reviews define the kind of life lessons one will get from Ghana National College. Which parent will not want their child to study in an academic center of excellence? As though not all this is enough, Ghana National College Website has an area where the alumni and students can share the ideas on making the school a better place.
Your girl is a graduate - Gh lady 'screams' as she bags degree in Business Administration from Legon; drops photos
READ ALSO: Ensign College of Public Health courses and fees
Since its inception during the colonial period, Ghana National College has produced some of the best and high-ranking people in the society. It is not only a center of excellence but the institution molds a person to fit in any type of society globally. A majority of Ghanaians are successful in life due to the never-ending discipline they learnt from the school.