- Abuja police arrest five persons for raising a false alarm at the Wuse General Hospital over contracting of the coronavirus
- Anjuguri Manza, the spokesperson for the command said the suspects who are alleged pranksters had visited the Wuse District Hospital claiming that one of them had been infected by the Coronavirus
- The police spokesperson said the prank led to panic and confusion as well as a disruption of normal health service delivery at the hospital
- Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Five Abuja residents have been arrested by the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) police command for falsely claiming to have contracted the coronavirus.
Anjuguri Manza, the spokesperson for the command said the suspects who are alleged pranksters had visited the Wuse District Hospital claiming that one of them had been infected by the Coronavirus, Vanguard reports.
The police stated that the prank led to panic and confusion as well as a disruption of normal health service delivery at the hospital.
The command stated that investigations into the activities of the suspects and would charge them to court when it concludes its investigation.
In another report, the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Friday, January 31, listed Nigeria among high-risk African nations for the Coronavirus.
WHO said that the African countries included in the list have direct links as well as a large number of travels to China and as such, have a high tendency of persons contacting the virus.
African nations on the list include Algeria, Angola, Ivory Coast, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria and Zambia.
The international health body said that it is making efforts to help nations of the world with the capacity for early detection of the disease.
Still on health matters,, despite initial warning from the minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, that Nigerians should avoid travelling to China, the epicentre of Coronavirus, the federal government on Friday, January 31, said that citizens are free to visit the Asian nation.
The new directive was issued by the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, on Friday based on some resolutions made after an inter-ministerial meeting held in Abuja.
Mohammed, speaking to journalists, said that a travel advisory is much better than declaring a ban because doing will be the same as stigmatising the country in question.
President Akufo-Addo is a "wicked old man" - Angry protester fumes | #Yencomgh
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.