- As part of an economic reprieve package, Italy has agreed to grant half a million migrants the right to work
- The agreement came as the country faces lingering food shortage as crops ripen up with few hards to pick them
- The work permit also includes those that are in the hospitality business of caring for the elderly
- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
In the bid to combat the consequences of coronavirus, Italy will be giving temporary work permit to 500,000 illegal migrants.
The migrants are considered important as they will be helping the country to pick crops and care for the elderly in the country.
The new development was part of the stimulus package agreed by the government on Wednesday, May 13, CBS News reports.
It should be noted that the lockdown measure put in place by the country has affected food security in the nation as harvest ripens up with not enough hands to pick them up as migrant workers have not been able to travel.
READ ALSO: Trevor Noah schools Donald Trump on Covid-19 infection numbers
"The food on our table comes from these fields. Now we must hand over those rights which have been denied to those who work in them," said Peppe Provenzano, minister for the south of Italy.
Another thing worthy of note is that the agreement was part of the about $60 billion stimulus package approved by the minister of agriculture, Teresa Bellanova.
Matteo Salvini, an opposition leader of the League party, has however criticized the move, wondering why illegals are given such right when there are so many Italians looking for jobs.
Meanwhile, YEN.com.gh earlier reported that a Nigerian man with the Twitter name Oluwatimilehin narrated his experience as a coronavirus survivor.
He said coronavirus is indeed big as he appealed to the general public not to take it lightly, asking them to abide by all the protective measures.
READ ALSO: 90-year-old Gaming Grandma says gaming changed her life
Oluwatimilehin said that though he was asymptomatic all through, not many who were admitted were lucky.
He said that he has had to face the stigma regarding his health status, a thing he said he expected to happen.
The Covid-19 survivor, therefore, appreciated all the health officials, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, and the government for how they have handled the pandemic so far.
The Nigerian asked people not to put themselves at unnecessary risk in order not to overburden those who are at the frontline, ensuring everything is okay.
Ghana's COVID-19 cases hit 5,127 | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: Man builds his dream house, shares photos online and inspires everyone
Want to be featured on YEN.com.gh? Send us a message on our Facebook page or on Instagram with your stories, photos or videos.