- Former vice president Joe Biden is running for president to rebuild the backbone of America which is the middle class
- Biden, the Democratic Party flag bearer, is also working towards ensuring everyone joins him in rebuilding America
- He said he understood the middle class was not just a number but a set of values
Trending topics on the go: How we write news at YEN.com.gh
When former vice president Joe Biden formally announced his entry into the 2020 presidential race, he declared that he stood for two things.
They include workers who built the United States of America (USA) and values that could bridge divisions in the country.
Biden's pitch has been to create new economic opportunities for workers, restore environmental protections and healthcare rights and international alliances.
Here is the 50-point plan the former vice president has for America as outlined on his website, joebiden.com
1. Jobs and economic recovery plan for working families in America.
2. Racial equity across the American economy.
3. Enact more than one-dozen middle-class tax cuts that will finally give working families the financial support they deserve.
4. Providing 21st-century caregiving and education workforce
5. Sustainable infrastructure and a clean energy future
6. Ensure the future is made in all of America by all of America workers
7. Full participation and equality for people with disability
8. Pursuing an aggressive and comprehensive plan to further women’s economic and physical security and ensure they can fully exercise their civil rights
9. Five-step roadmap to support local decision-making on reopening schools safely and to help students whose learning was interrupted
10. Provide leadership, stability, and trusted experience in the midst of a health crisis
11. Set up support for deserving small businesses
12. Give health care workers the long-term support they deserve including raising wages, guaranteeing quality, and affordable health care
13. Scale-up employment insurance by reforming short-time compensation programme
14. Adopting Senator Warren’s comprehensive proposal for fixing the bankruptcy system to give people a second chance
15. Biden will ask Tony Fauci to extend his unprecedented record of service to six presidents and give him an uncensored platform to speak directly to the American people.
16. Rebuild the economy in a way that finally brings everyone along—and that starts by rooting out systemic racism from laws, policies, institutions, and American's hearts.
17. Biden will immediately do away with the Trump Administration’s draconian immigration policies
18. Forcefully pursue policies that safeguard security, provide a fair and just system that helps to grow and enhance the economy
19: Unite the country and restore the Department of Veterans Affairs as the premier agency for ensuring veterans’ overall well-being
20. Biden will inspire a future generation of Americans to volunteer for military service by ensuring America fulfils its obligations to the generations who have already answered the call to serve
Trump's re-election chances get brighter as poll shows majority of Americans believe they are better off under him
21. Biden proposed a plan to grow a stronger, more inclusive middle class – the backbone of the American economy – by strengthening public and private sector unions and helping all workers bargain successfully for what they deserve.
22. Biden is offering an ambitious proposal to ensure the American government works for the people.
23. A proposed bold plan for education and training beyond high school will give hard-working Americans the chance to join or maintain their place in the middle class, regardless of their parents’ income or the colour of their skin.
24. As president, Biden will pursue constitutional, common-sense gun safety policies
25. Biden will make enacting the VAWA reauthorisation one of his top first 100 day priorities
26. He has plans to strengthen America’s commitment to justice and reform the country's criminal justice system.
27. The former vice president has plans to create millions of new jobs, including new opportunities in rural America.
28. He has a plan to build on the Affordable Care Act by giving Americans more choice, reducing health care costs, and making the health care system less complex to navigate.
29. The Biden Plan will protect Social Security for the millions of Americans who depend on the program.
30. Biden announced that, as president, he will advance the security, prosperity, and values of the US by taking immediate steps to renew its own democracy and alliances.
31. He outlined a bold plan – a Clean Energy Revolution – to address climate change threat and lead the world in addressing the climate emergency.
32. As president, Biden will provide educators with the support and respect they need and deserve and invest in all children from birth so that they are prepared to succeed in tomorrow’s economy.
33. He will invest $640 billion over 10 years so every American has access to housing that is affordable, stable, safe and healthy, accessible, energy-efficient and resilient, and located near good schools and with a reasonable commute to their jobs.
34. As President, Biden will stand with the LGBTQ+ community to ensure America finally lives up to the promise on which it was founded: equality for all.
35. Step one of Biden’s plan to tackle the opioid epidemic and substance use disorders is to defeat Trump and then protect and build on Obamacare.
He will pursue a comprehensive, public health approach to deal with opioid and other substance use disorders.
36. Biden believes that in America, no matter where you start in life, everyone should be able to live up to their God-given potential
37. Biden is committed to upholding the US's trust responsibility to tribal nations, strengthening the Nation-to-Nation relationship between the US and Indian tribes, and working to empower tribal nations to govern their own communities and make their own decisions.
38. He will provide two years of community college or other high-quality training programs without debt for any hard-working individual looking to learn and improve their skills.
He will also make four-year public colleges and universities tuition-free for all students whose family incomes are below $125,000. And, Joe will:
39. He will continue his lifelong commitment to ensure that every member of the AAPI community is treated with dignity—no matter their race or ethnicity—and has a fair shot at the American Dream.
40. Biden's government will reflect the diversity of the US, and Indian American voices will be included in shaping the policies that impact their communities.
41. Biden will continue to ensure that the Jewish State, the Jewish people, and Jewish values have the unbreakable support of the United States.
42. He will protect Muslim-American constitutional and civil rights; honour the diversity of Muslim-American communities.
He will ensure adequate healthcare, create a safe learning environment, rebuild the economy with a more resilient, more inclusive middle class.
43. He will ensure that everyone has a chance to join the middle class, including Latinos and other individuals never given a fair shot in decades past.
44. Make an unprecedented investment in the county's infrastructure to bolster the competitiveness of the middle class.
45. Establish an Environmental and Climate Justice Division within the US Department of Justice.
He will also Elevate environmental justice in the federal government and modernize the all-of-government approach and overhaul the EPA External Civil Rights Compliance Office
46. A Biden-Harris Administration will restore America's values as a nation of immigrants, defend the civil rights of all Americans, provide equal opportunity for every American, and champion democracy and human rights globally.
47. As President, Biden will work with representatives who support each of the status options in Puerto Rico to engage in a fair and binding process to determine their own status.
48. A Biden-Harris Administration will enact policies and oversight that ensure nursing home residents and staff are safe.
49. As part of their plan to Build Back Better, Joe Biden and Kamala Harris announced two new bold steps to ensure the future is Made in America by all of America’s workers.
50. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris called for bold, transformational steps to help small businesses around the country persevere through the pandemic, recover, and build back better.
Enjoy reading our stories? Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!
"Life has been better for me since I exited the Shatta Movement Camp" Addi Self | #Yencomgh
Share your stories and news by getting interactive on our Facebook page!