Thursday, January 1 2021, is not a day most Ghanaians would ever forget due to the many drama that ensued in the earlier hours of the day.
Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana
Former Member of Parliament, MP, for the Nadowli-Kaleao constituency, Alban Kingsford Sumana Bagbin was voted to occupy the speakership position of the 8th parliament.
He won the keenly contested election against the former speaker of parliament Professor Aaron Mike Ocquaye with 138 votes as against 136 votes.
For all who have no idea who he is, YEN.com.gh has compiled all you need to know about him.
1. He was born September 24, 1957
2. Bagbin hails from Sombo in the Upper West region of Ghana.
3. He made his first appearance in the first parliament of Ghana's fourth republic.
4. He first won the Nadowli-Kaleo seat on the ticket of the National Democratic Congress in 1992.
5. He has since been representing his constituents till 2016 where he decided not to fill for reelection in the party's primaries.
6. Bagbin was the Minister for Health in the Ghana government until February 2013 when Hanny-Sherry Ayittey took over the position.
7. He has been the Member of Parliament for Nadowli West constituency in the Upper West Region of Ghana in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th parliaments of the 4th republic of Ghana.
8. The speaker of Parliament is a catholic by faith and made it known while swearing in the newly elected MPs for the 8th parliament.
9. Until his election on January 7, 2021 as Speaker of the 8th Parliament of the fourth republic, he had spent28 years of his life in parliament and has thus earned him the accolade "Ground father of parliament".
10. Prior to his appointment, he was the second deputy speaker of the 7th parliament in the 4th republic
11. He had is secondary education at Wa Secondary but completed Tamale Secondary school.
12. He had a Bachelor of Arts degree in Law and English at the University of Ghana in 1980. He proceeded to the Ghana School of Law at Makola in Accra after which he was called to the bar in 1982.
13. He also holds an Executive Masters in Governance and Leadership from the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA).
In other news, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on Thursday, January 7, 2021, took the oath of office for a second term after defeating former President John Dramani Mahama in the keenly contested 2020 polls.
Speaking at the ceremony witnessed by heads of state from across Africa and other dignitaries, the president congratulated Alban Bagbin for emerging as the country’s Speaker of Parliament after hours of chaos in the lawmaking chamber.
Enjoy reading our stories? Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!