- GNPC has come under criticism over the budget of about GH¢ 2 million for donation and sponsorship of some public functions
- An internal memo revealed various amounts that were given to the First Lady’s Foundation, Rebecca Foundation and several others
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) has come under criticism over the budget of about GH¢ 2 million for donation and sponsorship of some public functions.
An internal memo sighted by YEN.com.gh on Citi Newsroom revealed various amounts that were given to the First Lady’s Foundation, Rebecca Foundation; The Ghana Journalists Association, and the celebration of the Okyenhene’s 20th Anniversary.
The memo, dated 29th October 2019 indicated that the donations and sponsorship had been approved by the company's board upon a recommendation by the Brand, Communication and CSR Committee of GNPC.
See below the full list of planned donations and sponsorship approved by the company to be undertaken
1. 2019 Damba Festival Preparation – Dagbon State – GH¢ 400,000.00
2. 20th Anniversary of Okyenhene – GH¢ 500,000.00 over three years totaling (GH 1,500,000.00) for the environment and greening
i. GH¢ 300,000.00 for organization of 20th Anniversary celebrations.
3. Ghana Journalists Association – GH¢ 50,000.00
4. Ghana Boxing Association – US$ 30,000.00
5. Rebecca Foundation – GH¢ 120,000.00
6. EOCO – GH¢ 550,000.00
The Executive Director of the Institute of Fiscal Studies, Professor Newman Kwadwo Kusi recently cautioned GNPC against making such huge spending on CSR rather than the company’s core operations.
In other news, Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, has stated that the Akufo-Addo government would internally raise funds to support the 2020 electoral activities across the country.
According to Citinewsroom reports, this is in line with the government’s “Ghana Beyond Aid agenda” which would not consider any form of donor support.
Addressing the media after the cabinet's retreat at Peduase, Oppong Nkrumah said the improvement in domestic revenue mobilization is critical to ensure that the government is able to carry out its obligations.
Sarkodie's amazing performance at This Is Tema Music Festival | #Yencomgh
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.