- Fire gutted the Odawna market in Accra, in the early hours of Wednesday, November 18, 2020
- The PRO of the Ghana National Fire Service, Ellis Okoe Robinson, said the fre service was called late
- He added that access to the fire was hard because the access routes were blocked
Trending topics on the go: How we write news at YEN.com.gh
Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana
The Public Relations Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, Ellis Okoe Robinson, has revealed that that the fire service were called late to the Odawna market to quench the inferno.
It was reported that, fire gutted the Odawna market in Accra, in the early hours of Wednesday, November 18, 2020.
According to Mr. Robinson, the fire at the market started at about 12 midnight but the fire service was called two hours later.
Speaking to media men present, the fire officer mentioned that, because access routes to the exact spot of the fire, the fire tenders faced difficulties in trying to access it.
He added that a lot of pipes had to be connected n order to reach the point of the fire. This, he said, reduces the pressure that will quench the fire.
According to him, they struggled to enter the market due to the blocked access routes caused by container shops citd at un appropraite points.
Touching on the issue of absence of water in the fire hydrants, the fire officer with over 20 years working experience stated that all the fire tenders had water in them.
He added that, what people did not know was that it took just eight minutes for the water in the tenders to run out.
He however, debunked rumors that the fire tenders were empty when they got to the market to quench the fire.
Market fires have become very rife in Ghana.
Most of these fires start due to an electrical fault or fire that was carelessly left unquenched in the market.
Most of these fires happen so frequently that these traders are not able to recoup whatever they lost in the previous disaster.
The Kaneshie, Kantamanto, Makola, Dome, Kumasi Central markets and a host of other markets almost always have cases of fire outbreaks recorded.
In a completely different news, one Yaw who resides in Kwadaso, a suburb of Kenyase No. 2 has taken the life of his friend, 28-year-old George Adu Gyamfi, over an argument they had over pork.
In a report sighted by YEN.com.gh, Gyamfi met his death after he went out for a drink at a popular drinking spot where an argument ensued.
The incident which occurred at Kwadaso, a suburb of Kenyase No. 2 in the Asutifi South District of the Ahafo Region has left many people distraught.
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.