Looking for some comfort food to make in your home? Look no further than the good old fuf which has been in West African culinary tradition for ages. Here is how to make this dish with groundnut soup.
What is fufu?
Fufu is a staple food among most countries in western Africa especially Ghana and Nigeria. It is made by mixing ground cassava and green plantain flour with water thoroughly to make a sticky substance called fufu. Maize flour is also used in place of green plantain. Fufu is mostly accompanied by groundnut soup. Below is an elaborate recipe of preparing fufu and groundnut soup
How to prepare fufu and groundnut soup
Let us start with how to make fufu
- Boiled cassava and tubers are pounded using a large pestle and mortar.
- Mixture is turned until soft and sticky
- The mixture is formed into small balls and served
This process has been made very easy with the invention of a fufu making machine.
Fufu and Groundnut soup recipe
Groundnut soup or peanut soup is made from peanuts that are ground to paste. It is the best fufu soup
Groundnut paste, Tomato paste, Half litre of water, 1 onion, Chilli, Garlic, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, Meat or fish and Lime
Method of preparation
- Mix the groundnut paste to the water and boil it for around 15 minutes
- Add the chopped onions, chilli, tomatoes, garlic. Blending them is more preferable
- Add salt and sugar to taste and let them boil after mixing for around 30 minutes
- Add the meat preferably boiled and mix
- Chop the carrots in a stick-like pattern, the mushrooms in big pieces then fry the two in oil
- Add the mushrooms and carrots into the soup while squeezing lime over the soup.
- Boil for around 15 minutes
- The vegeterians are not left out, if you want to make the groundnut soup just remove the meat from the above recipe and you are good to go.
- Serve your fufu with the delicious groundnut soup and be sure to enjoy the Ghanaian dish
Calories in fufu and groundnut soup
100 grams of fufu is equal to 267 kilo calories. Every 100grams of fufu is composed of 84grams carbohydrates, 2 grams of proteins, and 0.1 grams of fat
Groundnut soup is rich in protein. The proteins are good body builders. The vegetables found in groundnut soup are also very good for the body because they protect the body from diseases and infections.
The fufu in Ghana is extraordinary because people have made it over the years to perfection. It is indeed a mouth watering dish that continues to gain popularity all over Africa. The dish also indicates how strong the roots are because culture in Ghana is existing and lives on. The fufu and peanut soup recipe is indeed an eye catching recipe, not only because its delicious but also the fact that it shows the diversity of the Ghanaian culture.