Parsley leaves are green gold. However, most people are ignorant of its health and nutritional value and some of them do not know what parsley leaves are. To begin with, Parsley is a biennial plant that is widely grown in the Mediterranean, Europe, and America although it is also grown in other parts of the world including Ghana – in equatorial, tropical and sub-tropical areas. It is a herb that scientifically belongs to the plant family of apiaceae in the genus of petroselinum, which makes it have the botanic name Petroselinum crispnum.
Well, Parsley leaves have many health benefits to the skin, hair management and growth, aiding in weight loss, important during pregnancy, and its medicinal value include high nutrients. Parsley leaves are dark green and leafy. They are grown inthe Mediterranean countries. The unique thing about the leaves is their rich aroma, which make them ideal for the use and preparation of food, stews, and soup in different parts of the world.
READ ALSO: Health benefits of dandelion plant
Parsley leaves have a close resemblance to coriander. For this reason, most people ask whether parsley leaves and coriander leaves are the same thing. The truth is that the two plants are distinct and have different uses although at times the function of aroma, garnish and use in preparation of food may overlap. Nonetheless, Parsley leaves have more nutritional value than the latter and subsequently has more uses.
Parsley leaves as mentioned above have immense nutritional value. The plants contain significant deposits of vitamins; vitamin A, B-1, B-2, B-3, B-6, C and vitamin K all of which help in body metabolism, development of the immune system and general health. Other forms of vitamins include Thiamin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, and Pyridoxine.
It is also rich in minerals, has iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, copper, sodium, zinc, phosphorus, and manganese. Also, it is an excellent source of folates, antioxidants, carotene, crypto-xanthine, lutein-zeaxanthin, energy, carbohydrates, protein, cholesterol, fat, dietary fiber, enzymes, and many other nutrients of substantial use in the human body. The benefits accrued to it are noteworthy and appreciated.
There are type types of the parsley plant, and these are:
- Flat leaf parsley – Also dubbed the Italian parsley, it is highly flavored of all the parsley plant species and used widely in stews, salads, sauces, and soups. Furthermore, people use it to garnish food thanks to its concentrated sweet aroma.
- Curled Leaf parsley – It is the common parsley plant that is prevalent all over the world and has its leaves somewhat folded inwards. It has outstanding nutritional value just like all other types of parsley plants are. Its main use is to garnish food naturally and should be raw and not cooked lest it loses it human body benefiting components.
- Hamburg – This type of parsley is rare hence not widely known to many. Unlike the two categories mentioned above, which one can tell apart from the appearance of its leaves, the Hamburg features turnip-like roots. People use the roots to prepare soups or stews and before chopping them and then frying or roasting them. Another name for this type of parsley is German parsley or the turnip-rooted parsley.
- The uses of parsley leaves date back to the ancient days where the Greeks and Romans used it widely. Parsley leaves have a long history, and it is amazing how even in those classical times, the people discovered the benefits of parsley leaves, which means the plant has been working for health purposes since those olden days. Herein you will find some of the parsley goes benefits, uses and the scientific explanation of how the compounds in the parsley leaves work.
Parsley leaves benefits
The benefits of parsley leaves are many, which explain why this plant is highly rated for its medicinal uses. Below are some of the parsley leaves usage and benefits:
1. Boosts body immunity
Parsley leaves clearly have many useful nutritional elements; vitamins, minerals, electrolyte, enzymes to mention but a few. These food products work either in bodybuilding, or energy giving and as protective elements in the body. Consequently, the intake of Parsley leaves to boost the body's general health making it have the upper hand over diseases and infections should they occur.
In fact, parsley makes the body have the strength and capacity to fight diseases either by eliminating the bacteria, pathogens, and germ or suppressing a virus should it occur. For instance, vitamin C is essential in the development of the immune system and helps in the healing of diseases, external wounds, scars, and other types of injuries.
2. Used in the treatment of anemia
Parsley plant is a rich source of iron. It is in our knowledge how vital iron is in blood building. Iron accelerates the production of heme which is a crucial element that helps in the transportation of oxygen into the red blood cell. Consequently, intake of parsley leaves or even juice helps increase the blood volume in your body. This function becomes critical to people suffering from anemia or is on the verge of being anemic due to blood loss or even accident. Such individuals should take parsley leaves frequently.
There are many ways of parsley leaves usage and preparation. First, you can boil plain water then soak in the parsley leaves for about 10 minutes before sieving and drinking the liquid. You can also prepare a parsley smoothie to take every morning. Alternatively, take it along with food, sauces, salads, soups and even stews.
The most significant benefit to parsley leaves other than the iron content in it is the Vitamin C. The latter is yet another valuable food substance that equally smoothens the road to anemia treatment. It accelerates the absorption of iron in the body which means the use is even more magnified. Besides, scientific studies prove that parsley leaves contain anti-anemic properties.
3. Parsley leaves for kidney cleansing
The kidney is an organ which primarily serves as a filter in our bodies. Well, sometimes one may consume a toxic substance, and this organ is responsible for filtering such substances out of the body. If there are substantial elements this may strain the kidney and affect its health and if not taken care of, may lead to kidney failure.
Parsley plant has apiol and Myristicin compounds, which have diuretic properties. These too aid in the smooth running of the kidneys which means the organ can flush out germs, bacteria, and unwanted food substances out of the body. It says that the body is free of toxin and hence healthier. It manifests outwards in the form of glowing healthy skin and immunity inwards. However, there is a disclaimer as excessive use of Parsley oil is harmful to the kidneys. Nonetheless, parsley leaves health benefits in kidney cleansing, and health can never go unmentioned. In using parsley leaves for kidney stones, it also helps in eliminating kidney gallstones and stones.
4. Parsley leaves for weight loss
Parsley is a vital ingredient in the regulation of cholesterol and fat levels in the human body. Ideally, parsley contains aqueous extracts which have hypocholesterolemia properties, and this is a flavonoid content. The compound works in decreasing biosynthesis or metabolism of cholesterol or fat and as a result thereof reduce accumulation of cholesterol and fats in the body.
Besides this, parsley has high fiber content. It helps in drawing out excess water out of the body, which means managing the body weight caused by the accumulation of excess body water. At the end aiding in weight loss. Furthermore, these properties help in the treatment of edema by way of flushing out excess salt, which helps in absorption of water-diffusion that causes edema.
Parsley leaves uses are good because they help with renal disorder management and control. medical professionals advise against excessive fluid retention in the body as it brings about many diseases and disorders one being overweight, inhibits mobility among many other issues including affecting one's health. This natural diuretic then becomes a needed food substance in Ghana.
READ ALSO: Health benefits of apple fruit
5. Parsley leaves in pregnancy
The parsley leaves health benefits extend to the expectant mother and their unborn child. It is an essential substance during pregnancy. First, it boosts the health of the mother and by extension that of the baby who entirely depends on the mother's well-being for their survival. It means that if the mother is okay then the fetus growing in them also thrives.
Ideally, parsley helps in blood-building which is a significant threat during pregnancy and may cause fatal complications. It is an integral part during pregnancy as the mother needs to have sufficient supply of blood for the baby and themselves and even to cater for the probable blood loss at birth. Intake of parsley helps in giving energy to the mother, the health and immunity are incorruptible. Other nutrients mentioned above similarly play an important role during pregnancy and therefore this plant is a vital requirement.
Besides, parsley is an ingredient in making maternity drugs that induce labor. It is because it stimulates the contractions which help at birth. Parsley comes loaded with some fantastic and worthwhile functions that one cannot trivialize. The emmenagogue effect it also possesses aids in the treatment of reproductive issues, such as menstrual problems and disorders.
6. Parsley leaves for digestion
The most typical problem that human experience in regards to their health is stomach upsets, pains, and whatnots. The condition may range from being mild to very acute and sometimes fatal. How about you try out on this natural plant product that will permanently deal with your stomach issues?
The fiber content in the parsley plant helps in treating indigestion, colic, flatulence, acidity among many other issues. The apiol oil obtained from a parsley plant helps in smoothening the digestive tract and aids in food digestion. It then means that problems of indigestion or inability for food to move seamlessly in peristalsis movement in the gut. This herb makes drugs for stomach upsets both infants and adults.
READ ALSO: Health benefits of ginger
7. Helps in development of healthy bones
Bone development, especially in infants and unborn baby, mainly depends on the kind of nutrients they take in their early stage of development. It explains why people have different bone density, tenacity, and resilience – it is all about quality food intake.
Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus are some of the compounds used in the making of bones and hence contribute immensely to their development if taken. Therefore, it means the above minerals make the muscular and bone system in the body. Parsley leaves usage then boost this development leading to people becoming healthy and robust to withstand fractures and injuries or even stress.
Besides, helping in bone formation and development, parsley leaves contains inhibitory elements that star bone resorption. It ideally refers to a state whereby the cell bones break down into tissues releasing minerals, such as calcium into the blood, which outright is excellent but delicate as managing the excess mineral diffusion is hard and hence may lead to complications.
What is more, parsley contains Apigenin, which prevents bone disorders. It is achievable by way of regulating the Osteoblasts and osteoclasts cells from unusual formation and growth. The two types of cells should have a balance to avoid chances of one developing bone metabolic disorders or conditions that are permanent and hence irreversible. It is one of the critical parsley leaves tea benefits to the human body and health. It is ideal for one to take a glass of parsley juice occasionally to enjoy these valuable benefits. It does not hurt an inch to have this cheaply yet in an effective manner.
8. Ensures proper cardiac function
The cardiac function is all about the heart functioning, pumping of blood and its circulation to the entire body parts and organs. Nevertheless, there are medical cases where the heart is unable to pump blood throughout the body, or the tasks are draining the heart hence failing to perform its function naturally. Some of the things that can cause this include overworking the organ.
Parsley leaves in Twi help infiltration and hence ensures the body has the required sugar, salt, mineral, and water capacity in the body so that it functions naturally without overworking any organ. Parsley regulates what is stored in the body and what is flushed away hence minimizing the possibility of one developing heart complication, disorders or even diseases.
Arterial hypertension is one cardiac condition that has swept away many from the face of the earth. However, parsley can curb this condition and avoid mild conditions from escalating into challenging medical conditions.
Parsley health benefits are inexhaustible. It is just one plant with diversified uses and helpful for that matter to the human body. Other parsley uses include helps in fighting inflammation thanks to anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, ensure smooth circulation of blood, aids in the liver functioning, oral health among many others
The parsley health benefits extend to the skin, and the hair growth and below are some of the ways parsley is useful:
9. Parsley leaves for skin management
Improves the health of the skin – It manages secretion of sebum from the surface, skin breakouts, cell regeneration and hence the overall health. Consistent intake of parsley juice makes the skin glow and radiate.
- Aids in the fading away of dark spots, scars, and wrinkles – Parsley inhibits growth and accumulation of bacteria, germs, and waste underneath the skin or even in the pores. It slowly leads to the fading away of dark spots and scar and the skin become firm.
- Eliminates skin inflammation – Thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties, the surface cleared of unwanted deposits, soreness, redness and consequently inhibit the development of acne and pimples on the face.
- Helps in healing of wounds – Parsley has beta-carotene ingredient which repairs the skin and speeds up healing of wounds and improves the skin elasticity.
- Reduces the visibility of dark eye circles – Vitamin C and K help in lightening dark circles under the eyes.
- Facial treatment product – Parsley is a cleansing product during facial treatment and also contains essential oils, which help keep the skin hydrated and adequately moisturized. You only need to apply the juice on your face and leave for some few minutes before rinsing away with warm water and repeat the exercise often for desired outcomes.
10. Parsley leaves for hair growth and management
- Essential in hair growth – There are two ways in which parsley help in hair growth; either from inside out or outside into the inside. Ideally, parsley contains the high nutritional value, which encourages hair growth, follicle opening and soaking in of nutrients, so the hair is thick, healthy, and lustrous.
- Has anti-breakage properties – Parsley leaves contain apigenin, which helps in the regulation of the TGF-beta gene. It ensures hair has a good supply of nutrients and hence will not suffer breakage, damage or loss caused by deficiency.
- Inhibit visibility of dandruff – As mentioned earlier, parsley has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, which manage the scalp ensuring is free from inhibition and hence useful in the treatment of dandruff. You only need to massage the parsley into the scalp and leave it on the hair too.
- Natural hair color maintenance – Well, you may have observed that some hair has varied colors and no dye applied on the hair. It is a clear indication that something is lacking or inwardly the hair is deficient of some nutrients. Parsley contains the mineral copper, an essential substance in the maintenance of the natural hair color. It adds not saturation to the hair but instead ensures that there is no changing of the natural color. The dietary component contributes to this color retention and has made this herb an ingredient in the manufacture of hair products.
READ ALSO: Health benefits of banana fruit
Naturally, everything has its pros and cons. Here above is a discussion about some of the parsley leaves in Ghana uses and benefits. Well, this plant in as much as it is a gem it has its anterior side which is harmful and comes as a surprise. Nevertheless, most of the side effects emanate from excessive use of the parsley herb, below are some of the side effects:
Parsley leaves side effects
- High blood pressure – Parsley herb contains high mineral, vitamins and enzymes deposits which are beneficial to the body. However, excessive intake of parsley juice carries the risk of probable complications. For instance, it may lead to sodium mineral accumulation which may alter the blood pressure levels in the body.
- Kidney diseases and complications – Parsley leaves contain a wide range of nutrients. The nutrients in as much as they are useful in the body, the intake should be in moderation because if much of these get into the bloodstream, the kidney will have a hard task infiltration. It may work efficiently, but it wears out quickly and hence bound to fail since it is overworking. It then leads to the development of kidney stones, gallstones and in acute cases may fail.
- Complications during pregnancy – Pregnancy is one of a delicate stage in a woman's life; any alteration or interference with the human body may lead to severe complications or even disorders and at times death. Parsley consumption is small quantities recommended, but even so, during pregnancy, great care is necessary, so that it remains helpful and not trigger complications and more so under the doctor's supervision and recommendation.
Although in rare cases, parsley leaves can cause miscarriage even when the intention is not to get rid of the fetus. It may also lead to hypertension, which is a delicate condition during pregnancy. For these reasons, administration should be in small quantities and should the patient experience any unanticipated effects, consulting a qualified doctor is necessary.
The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this page is for general information purposes only.
READ ALSO: Home remedy for cough and cold
Source: Yen Ghana