Mobile money services have now taken control of the current cash flow market. Therefore, payment of bills, salary, and goods and services are being transacted online. MTN mobile money transfer is one of the easiest ways to transact money via mobile. However, you must know how to reverse MTN mobile money transfer in case you made a wrong transaction.
What is MTN mobile money? This is an electronic mobile service used for money transactions. Mobile phone companies provide it through partnerships with banks. Bank accounts are connected to the MTN mobile money service to access subscriber’s accounts.
This mobile service has agents who help in facilitating it. They are authorized to reach subscribers and users throughout the network's reach. This is, however, governed by rules and regulations of the mobile service. This article brings you all you need to know about reversing the money in case you do a wrong transaction.
Different ways to reverse MTN mobile money transfer
There are several ways you can use to reverse a money transfer made using MTN mobile money. You can decide to report the matter to the nearest MTN customer care, or try a person to person reversal method.
Reporting to MTN Ghana customer care
After noticing that you sent cash to the wrong number, ensure you make a call to the MTN customer care service for reversal immediately. You need to do the following:
- Call 100 within the first 15 days from the day you made the wrong transaction.
- Select your language.
- Select mobile money.
- Select wrongful mobile cash transactions.
- Select 'speak to an agent'.
- Explain your situation to the agent on the call.
- Mention the original account you were sending the cash to.
- Mention the account you mistakingly sent the money to.
- State the exact amount involved.
- MTN starts an investigation and sends a reversal message to the person within 15 days.
- Once the person approves, you should have the cash in your account.
Person to person transfer
This applies when you find the MTN customer care to be cumbersome or slow. However, for this, its a matter of convincing the wrong receiver to refund the cash to you, otherwise, you have to go with the customer care service method. You need to follow the following steps:
- Fill the number you wrongly transferred the cash to in your momo transaction message.
2. Call the person and tell them the exact amount you sent to them and the actual person you intended to send to.
3. Ensure you are speaking calmly and do not act funny to avoid raising suspicions of fraud.
4. Ask them to check their mobile money accounts to confirm that the amount is there.
5. Once they confirm that the cash is there, be kind and ask them to return the cash. You can even offer them some tips from the total amount as an appreciation.
6. If you manage to convince the receiver, you can receive the cash after confirming that they got the cash mistakenly.
How do I recover money sent to the wrong number?
If you happen to send cash to the wrong person by accident, or by inputting the wrong recipient number, you should use MTN mobile money to retrieve wrongly sent money. In the rules and regulations of MTN mobile money, incorrect money transactions should be reported within 30 days.
This provides an opportunity for the investigations and establishment of claims of wrong transactions to be carried out. This is the only way to ensure successful refunds are made.
This means that established claims that are approved for reversal have to be taken care of within 15 days of the claim. The following steps are a guide on how to retrieve wrongly sent cash using MTN mobile services:
- Visit the nearest MTN mobile money agent to reverse MTN mobile money.
- Report the matter of the wrong transaction to the wrong person within 30 days of the incident.
- Give the correct figure of the amount wrongly transacted and the number sent to.
- Give time for the claim to be investigated and established.
- Approval of the claim will result in your cash reversal being processed.
- Mobile money reversal takes place within 15 days from the day reported.
- Confirm a successful mobile money reversal once done.
How many days does it take to reverse money?
After reporting that you made a wrong transaction, the claim has to be investigated and established. Since the day of the report, the whole reverse MTN mobile money transfer process takes 15 days. Through the help of MTN mobile money agents, you can reverse MTN money sent to the wrong number and get it back in two weeks.
How to reverse MTN airtime transfer
Apart from cash reversals, it is also possible to reverse airtime. Subscribers can purchase airtime using MTN cash. In the same way, they can reverse the MTN airtime transfer. This is through the mobile cash account that one uses to acquire airtime.
To do this, go to the mobile money menu and select "Top-up airtime". Enter the amount of credit you need to purchase. Enter your mobile money PIN. The airtime top-up prompt is the confirmation SMS for a successful top-up.
Despite the quality and successful airtime top-ups, it is possible to purchase airtime wrongly. When this happens, subscribers have the right to reverse it by using the MTN airtime transfer service. Instances of wrongful top-ups can happen in two scenarios.
The first is where you put in the wrong amount and the second is where you put in the wrong number. Either way, there is a solution. To complete airtime reversals successfully especially after sending airtime to the wrong person, follow this procedure;
- Dial the speed code *170#
- Reply with 7 to access mobile your money wallet
- Select option 5 for airtime reversal
- Put the amount of transaction to be reversed
- Then enter 1 for executing process reversal.
- You will receive confirmation SMS for a successful reversal.
In case the reversal does not succeed, visit the nearest MTN mobile money agent, to review the claim. You will get assistance with the airtime reversal.
READ ALSO: MTN mobile money registration Ghana
This procedure for airtime reversal has rules and regulations that have to be adhered to.
- First, reversal must be from the purchase of airtime from your wallet.
- Second, it must be initiated strictly from the subscriber’s wallet.
- Third, reversals from mobile money agents airtime are not acceptable. This means that these agents should not use their airtime to process reversals for customers and subscribers.
- Fourth, transactions below GHC 10 can not be reversed. It is the minimum amount allowed for reversals.
- Fifth, only full amounts are reversed. This means that you should not use up the airtime before requesting for a reversal.
- Sixth, the sender of the airtime needs first to receive approval to carry out the reversal procedure. Airtime reversals are valid only within 72 hours after the wrong transaction. Your chances thin out immediately after the erroneous transaction.
- Seventh, a confirmation note for the successful airtime reversal has to reach the sender after the reversal process is complete.
If you happen to send cash to the wrong person mistakenly, you can reverse the transaction within 15 days. Using reverse MTN mobile money transfer gives you the confidence you need, even when things go wrong.
Yen.com.gh recently reported about how to become an MTN mobile money agent. You can earn a living by registering as an MTN Mobile Money agent. This way, you will get commissions for every transaction made using your agent number.
To become an MTN agent, you need to meet the set requirements. You will also need to have a business premise, which can neither be a wooden structure nor a temporary station under an umbrella.