- Faiq Bolkiah joined Leicester City in 2016 but has not made any appearance
- The 22-year-old is a nephew to Brunei Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah
- Faiq has emerged the richest active footballer in the world ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
A list of the world's richest active footballers has emerged and Leicester City’s Faiq Bolkiah is way ahead of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
According to Spanish outlet Marca, citing Blog Finance FR, neither the Argentine captain nor his Portuguese rival is the richest active footballer.
Faiq who is a nephew to Brunei Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah is yet to feature for the Foxes at the senior level but he is worth a staggering $20bn.
READ ALSO: Ghanaian players appeal to government to evacuate them from Ethiopia (video)
Although the 22-year-old’s earnings from football was not mentioned in the report, he was however placed ahead of Messi and Ronaldo in the top ten richest active footballers in the world list.
READ ALSO: Cristiano Ronaldo wears most-expensive Rolex watch in history worth £371k
Ronaldo beats six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi to second place and holds an estimated $460m to his name.
Below are the 10 richest active footballers in the world, according to Blog Finance FR.
10. Paul Pogba $85m - Manchester United
9. Eden Hazard $100m - Real Madrid
8. Andres Iniesta $120m - Vissel Kobe
7. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid): $125m
6. Wayne Rooney $160m - Derby County
5. Neymar $185m - Paris Saint Germain
4. Zlatan Ibrahimovic $190m - AC Milan
3. Lionel Messi $400m - Barcelona
2. Cristiano Ronaldo $460m - Juventus
1. Faiq Bolkiah - Leicester City $20bn
READ ALSO: Cristiano Ronaldo Jr treated with heartwarming message for 10th birthday by Juventus star
Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo has been raking in millions despite the economic crisis as a result of the global pandemic.
The Juventus striker has now become the first football player to hit the $1billion mark and achievement envisaged a few weeks back.
According to Forbes, the 35-year-old earned a staggering $105m from June 1, 2019, to June 1, 2020, to achieve the feat.
However, Ronaldo's earnings is second to tennis legend and multiple Grand Slam winner Roger Federer.
And the Portuguese icon is the third sportsman to hit the $1bn mark after golf ace Tiger Woods and undefeated boxing legend Floyd Mayweather.
Star Gist: The impact of COVID-19 on the fitness industry in Ghana | #Yencomgh
Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?
Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.
Source: Yen Newspaper