Ghanaians love food. Period. It has nothing to do with being foodians or anything, we really just have a deep appreciation for our various amazing cuisines and we do not hide it. Why should we? And what’s the better way to enjoy our wonderful local food if it’s not indoors in our warm clothes on a rainy day.
With the way the Ghanaian weather is set up, we tend to joke that the cold rainy day is perfect for couples. It’s actually not; it is the best time to really enjoy a hot Ghanaian dish. These are the 6 best foods to eat when you’re warmly cozied up indoors on a rainy day:
1. Kenkey. This is the first choice of most Ghanaians to beat the cold. When the day gets dark, and the clouds gather, grab yourself some hot Kenkey and fish. It’s the perfect stay-indoors meal.
2. Banku. Following close behind is Banku, but on a cold, rainy day, Banku and Okra stew is your sure bet. There is nothing like a delish warm plate of Banku to keep the cold away.
READ ALSO: We are loving Yvonne Nelson's new 'no filter' look and you should too!
3. Tuo Zaafi. This super tasty Northern meal has got your back every rainy day. It packs quite the punch too! Grab a large bowl, dig in till there’s not a single scrap left and let the aftermath just wash over you.
4. Waakye. Waakye has been described as the Ghanaian food of life and well, we cannot deny that. Waakye is essentially an all weather kind of meal but trust it does have its moments on a rainy day. Depending on what you want to accompany it, the meal is perfect for a casual stay-in on a cold Wednesday like this.
5. Red-Red. Yes, that’s right. Red-Red is a great food choice for a cold day. You can never go wrong with this meal as it is heavy, and tastes great when served hot. It is really filling, and can lull you to sleep easily. Trust us, why would we lie?
READ ALSO: Sandra Ankobiah just proved she's Ghana's queen diva of fashion and you should see why
6. Hausa Koko and Kose. While this is mostly a breakfast choice for most Ghanaians on a regular day, it is also another great food choice for a cold, gloomy day. Be warned however, the side effect of taking this food on a rainy morning is a happy, dream-filled nap.
What's your go-to meal on a cold, rainy day? Tell us in our comments section below or send us an email at email@example.com.