48 years ago: How Acheampong overthrew Busia who left to London for medical treatment

48 years ago: How Acheampong overthrew Busia who left to London for medical treatment

- Details of General Ignatius Kutu Acheampong's overthrow of Dr. Kofi Busia's government have surfaced online

- Dr. Busia's Progress Party was removed from office on January 13, 1972 when he travelled to London for medical assistance

- This was the second coup to take place in Ghana, the first being Kwame Nkrumah's overthrow

Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

On January 13, 1972, Colonel Ignatius Kutu Acheampong overthrew the government of Dr. Kofi Abrefa Busia.

YEN.com.gh understands that it was a bloodless coup d’état against the Progress Party that brought Busia to power.

Information available shows that the coup occurred during a time when Dr. Busia travelled to London for medical treatment.

48 years ago: How Acheampong overthrew Busia who left to London for medical treatment
Source: YEN.com.gh
Source: UGC

READ ALSO: Photo drops as Fella mercilessly blasts new lover after breakup with Medikal

Condemning the coup, Busia said “I believe the people of Ghana will resist this selfish and senseless coup d’etat, and overthrow it.

The people of Ghana know how sincerely we are trying to establish democracy and human dignity, as well as coping with our grave economic problems in order to raise our standard of living.”

Acheampong was then commanding the First Infantry Brigade of the Ghana Armed Forces in an acting or temporary status.

Per a report by ghanamuseum.com, this was the second successful military coup by the Ghana Armed Forces in Ghana; the first coup d’état occured just after six years, specifically on February 24, 1966.

On that day, Col E.K. Kotoka and his Brigade Major, Maj A.A. Afrifa, overthrew the government of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, leader of the Convention Peoples Party (CPP).

In other news, four Black girls were detained inside a beauty supply store after being mistaken for shoplifters, YEN.com.gh has learned.

Per a report by blacknews.com, the incident happened in Virginia in the United States of America (USA).

Parents of the girls are meanwhile convinced that the girls were racially profiled during the incident.

On Friday, January 10, 2020, the four girls went to the Coco Beauty Supply in Chesapeake after enjoying meals at a nearby Subway restaurant.

They realized they had been locked in the beauty shop when they tried to leave after one of them bought a hairbrush.

YEN.com.gh understands that a recent shoplifting incident at the store followed by a release of the real culprits in the area led to a heightened level of security in the shop.

READ ALSO: Madman drags another mad man to police for stealing his radio (Radio)

Read the best news on Ghana #1 news app. Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana

Use the comments section below to share your views on this story. Do you have a story to share or you have information for us? Get featured on YEN.com.gh. Message us on Facebook or Instagram

Source: YEN.com.gh

Online view pixel