Is education enough to label someone a professional? Is there a proficiency that is used in determining the professional qualifications of an individual? The Institute of Chartered Accountants Ghana (ICAGH), is an oversight body established by the government of Ghana to regulate and offer accreditation to all public accountants who wish to hold the title of certified accountants.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants Ghana is mandated by the parliament with the role of vetting the accountants to accredit their professional qualifications as accountants. ICAGH examination is done twice a year, and upon passing the tests, the individual gets the recognition as a certified accountant and thus can freely practice public accounting in Ghana. If you want to attain the title CA, here is everything you need to know about the institute that will make you a professional.
ICAGH new syllabus
The council of ICAGH announced the enactment of the new syllabus. Students should note that the old 2015 syllabus expired after the end of May 2019 examinations and the new revised 2019 syllabus became effective after the publication of the May 2019 examination results.
All the students should adhere to the new general rule of the 2019 syllabus which states that “all candidates who did not complete a level in the previous syllabus, will be required to write the newly-introduced paper at that level”.
Apart from ICAGH new syllabus general rule, here are some of the exceptions from that rule:
- The Principles of Taxation exemptions and passes that were under the 2010 syllabus are now equal to the 2019 Principles of Taxation.
- Learners who attained pass in Taxation and Fiscal Policies in the 2015 syllabus will be exempted for the Principles of Taxation in 2019 syllabus.
- Students who passed the Management Accounting paper under 2015 syllabus and have a remaining paper in Level 1 are exempted from the Introduction to Management Accounting paper.
- Any student with Corporate Strategy Ethics and Governance, which is a Level 2 Paper, is required to write the Strategic Case Study at Level 3 to complete the qualifying examination because it is the only paper which is close to Corporate Strategy Ethics and Governance.
READ ALSO: Schools in Ghana: Best in 2020
ICAGH student portal
ICAGH students portal is available for both the registered and non-registered students. For the registered students, they are required to login to the portal by clicking yes to the prompt. After that, the student will be required to request a new password by clicking on the request for a new password prompt.
For the new students who are yet to become ICAG students and they don’t have a studentship number, they should follow the registration procedure as outlined in the quick portal guide user manual as follows:
- Visit their official website www.sms.icagh.com
- Choose the prompt “I have never registered” and then click on the First Time Registration button.
- Create an account by completing the Personal Information, Address and Login Details and click on the Register button.
- After you are done filling in all the required details, click on the Save button.
- Once the Students Services approve your application and admission, you will receive a confirmation message after which you will be able to access the dashboard after you login.
ICAGH examination entry form is available on the portal for the students who wish to sit for the institution’s examination. To register for the exam, follow the procedure below:
- Visit the institute’s website
- Use your students’ number/phone number/email and password to log in
- Click on the Exam Registration button and then on the new examination registration.
- Select your diet, a level and your preferred centre.
- Choose the subjects you wish to register for and wait for them to be added to the subject list on your right-hand side.
- Click on the checkbox and agree to the declaration to enable the Submit Registration button.
- Upon successful registration, click to pay button and follow the payment procedure outlined.
- Wait for the confirmation message before clicking on the Update Payment Status button.
- Once the status is updated, you will see a notification written Bill Paid, pop up on the screen.
ICAG accountancy college professional courses are taken either in the morning, evening or during the weekend. Here is the free structure for the 8th January to 26th April 2020 students who will be sitting for their examination on May 2020.
Fees per subject
- Level 1 GH¢ 350
- Level 2 GH¢ 450
- Level 3 GH¢ 550
The payment can be made in two installments: 80% of the entire amount before the beginning and the remaining 20% before 31st July. The payment is made in specific banks and later submission of the payment slip to the college office. The following are some of the banks to use:
- ECO BANK- Okplonglo Branch- A/C No. 0710134481289101
- Barclays Bank, High Street- A/C No. 0000002149286
- GCB High Street- A/C No. 1011130022905
The institution grants various exemptions to students with some qualifications from institutions that ICAGH recognizes in addition to being accredited by the National Accreditation Boards (NAB).
ICAGH past questions
Interested individuals can find ICAGH past questions solutions in the school’s library or on their official website. ICAGH past questions and answers are divided into the following levels:
- Paper 1.3 Business and Corporate Law
- Paper 1.2 Business Management and Information Systems
- Paper 1.1 Financial Accounting
- Paper 1.4 Quantitative Tools in Business
- Paper 2.3 Audit and Assurance
- Paper 2.6 Corporate Strategy, Ethics and Governance
- Paper 2.4 Financial Management
- Paper 2.1 Financial Reporting
- Paper 2.2 Management Accounting
- Paper 2.5 Public Sector Accounting Finance
- Paper 3.2 Advanced Audit and Assurance
- Paper 3.3 Advanced Financial Management
- Paper 3.1 Corporate Reporting
- Paper 3.4 Taxation and Fiscal Policy
If you wish to sit for ICAGH examination and become a certified accountant, above is everything that you need to know to get you on the move. All the best!