Ghana Institute of Journalism (GIJ) is a certified higher learning institution. The university is among the earliest to be founded by the late Kwame Nkrumah. Why is it unique as compared to others in the region? Well, it has experienced instructors and state-of-the-art facilities. Therefore, if you seek to pursue a journalism course in Ghana, GIJ is the place to be.
Over the years, GIJ has been enrolling journalism students from and outside the country. Even so, it only enrolls a manageable number of students to each course. Also, the good news is that you can be among the students seeking to join the university this year. However, how much do you know about the institution?
Is GIJ a government institution?
Well, Ghana Institute of Journalism is a public learning university licensed by the National Accreditation Board (NAD). Currently, it is under the Ministry of Education. In other words, learning institutions under the docket are managed by the National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE).
What do I need to know about GIJ?
Now that you have decided to join the college, you might want to know the following facts about the institution.
READ ALSO: Achimota School prospectus, houses, fees, courses, contact
GIJ registration options
The institution allows its students two major application options. The options are; online application and filing downloadable GIJ forms. In all the options, both Ghana and international students are advised to pay a non-refundable application fee at a Fidelity Bank Branch near them.
1. Filling downloadable forms
Students should expect an application number handed to them once they have made application fee. Remember, the number is essential because it initiates the whole process. Note that the number is mandatory to both students applying online or filing downloadable GIJ admission forms.
2. GIJ online registration
Gone are the days when students and parents used to line in long queues at the university halls for admission, nowadays the process can be done online in the shortest time possible. Well, below is the complete GIJ admission process:
- Once given the application number, purchase an e-voucher and go to the GIJ portal to start the process on the GIJ SIS login page under the “Prospective students’ Login” section.
- On the page, click “Start Application” and fill all the fields under it. Some of the information to enter in this section include; an application number, surname, email, phone number, and program details. After that, click “Create Application.”
- In the next stage, enter your bio data accurately and click to continue.
- Proceed to stage three and upload your photo in the right format.
- Proceed to enter your educational qualifications in the next stage.
- Continue to “Exam Results” and enter them
- If any, state your work experience and press continue.
- In stage eight, highlight your language competency skills.
- Continue to write a personal statement in the next stage.
- You may need to fill the recommendation page too as you complete the process
Click the "Check Application" icon to check your admission status. Similarly, you can wait for the institution to publish the list of successful applicants on its website. For instance, GIJ admission list 2019/ 2020 for diploma students is already out.
The university offers a varied number of journalism courses. The courses are divided into two major categories. They include:
Courses under this category are as follows:
- Diploma in Communication Studies
- B.A in Communication Studies
- 2-year B.A in Communication Studies (Top-Up)
- M.A in Journalism
- M.A in Public Relations
- M.A in Media Management
- M.A in Development Communication
Most of the courses under this group are communication-related. Is your course listed under this category?
- Online Journalism
- T.V Journalism
- Advance Marketing
- Advanced Public Relations
- Radio and Television Presentation
- Advanced Advertising
- Broadcast Journalism
- Public Relations/ Advertising/ Marketing
- Writing Skills
- Effective Public Speaking/ Speech Writing and Presentation
- Customer Care
- Writing for Newspaper & Magazine
- Events Management
- Action and Strategic Planning
- Advanced Communications
READ ALSO: UDS student portal: login, app, courses, contacts
GIJ cut off points and other requirements
Similar to any other higher learning institution, students seeking to join any of the named school above should meet all the requirements.
Bachelors of Arts in Communications Studies
- SSSCE applicants should have A - D passes in six subjects including Mathematics, English, and three non-compulsory subjects. Also, an overall aggregate of not less than 24 in three elective subjects is compulsory.
- WASSCE applicants should have passed with A1 –C6 in six subjects including three compulsory subjects. An additional aggregate of not less than 36 in three no-compulsory subjects is necessary.
Diploma in Communication Studies
Attending lectures from Monday to Sunday is the main requirement for students pursuing a diploma in Communication Studies. Other essential admission requirements are as follows:
- SSSCE applicants must have passed (A – D) in five subjects inclusive of three voluntary subjects. Similarly, an overall aggregate of 20 and above in optional subjects
- WASSCE holders must have passed (A1 – C6) in five subjects including three compulsory subjects. Also, an applicant should possess an aggregate of 30 and above in two optional subjects.
Requirements for graduate students
An applicant should hold a degree in Communication Studies from the same institution or any other certified university with a minimum of 2nd - Class Lower Division. Alternatively, a Bachelor’s degree from any reputable higher learning center in Ghana with a 2nd - Class Lower Division.
An applicant should be able to pass an entrance test as well as a selection of interviews.
Note: Most of the undergraduate requirements may apply to mature students wishing to join the institution. Importantly, GIJ is a corruption-free center. Therefore, students are selected based on their cut off points, including international students.
Primarily, it is the objective of GIJ to offer its students high-quality education at affordable costs. Unfortunately, the fee structure is not in the public domain yet. It is advisable to contact them directly for an accurate fee structure. Lastly, the levy varies according to a student’s area of study.
GIJ location is among the aspects the university boasts of. First, it surrounded by many business centers. Second, it is close to the country’s most significant facilities like the National Theatre, Parliament House, Accra Conference Centre, and major sports stadiums in Accra.
You can contact them through one of the contacts below:
- Physical location: 32nd Gamel Abdul Nasser Rd. Osu
- Postal Address: P.O. Box GP 667, Accra
- Telephone number: (+233) 302 228336
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax no: +233 302 221750
If you seek to thrive in the journalism space, GIJ has got your back. Currently, the university offers various journalism courses to both Ghanaian and international students. Also, it has competent and experienced lectures ready to assist students.
READ ALSO: CSUC Student Portal: login, homepage, contacts