Former president John Dramani Mahama has recommended some key measures he believes, could help scale up the fight against the spread of the Coronavirus disease in Ghana.
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Mr. Mahama made the recommendations via his Facebook page on Saturday, April 4, 2020, when he made some donations of Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) to some health facilities in the country.
The former president donated PPEs worth more than GH300,000 to the hospitals.
READ ALSO: Civilian loses his life after soldier’s gun accidentally goes off
The hospitals that benefitted from the donation of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) flagbearer area Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Tamale Teaching Hospital, Regional and District hospitals nationwide.
He also took the opportunity to propose some strategies government can apply in fight the novel COVID-19.
Meanwhile, Ghana has recorded 214 cases of the COVID-19, as at Sunday, April 5, 2020.
YEN.com.gh presents 7 of the strategies to help Ghana win the fight against COVID-19;
READ ALSO: Video of 24-year-old Ghanaian who died in Italy amid coronavirus pandemic drops
1. The need for partnership in ECOWAS and AU and consensual efforts to manage our borders and movement of people and also leverage on food production capabilities such as rice, grain and other such products.
2. Government must provide insurance to frontline health workers who are engaged in the fight against COVID-19.
3. Immediate development of a National Infectious Diseases Response plan that clearly sets out the specific steps that must be taken to prevent the entry of such diseases, quickly arrest them even if they do enter our shores at the very early stage to reduce its impacts on the bearest form on our population.
4. Establish another medical research center with capacity like the Noguchi Medical Research Institue in the northern part of Ghana.
5. Immediate expansion of the 37 Military Hospital by doubling the current bed size and also build an Infectious Disease Centre to cater for the southern sector to help with the management of diseases like Ebola and COVID-19.
READ ALSO: Akufo-Addo opens up on COVID-19 Trust Fund; says it is now worth GH¢8.75m
6. Government must expand the testing centres to include the Navorongo and Kimtampo Research Centres ensuring that Noguchi or the KCCR supports to test more people in a good time.
7. Vitamin fruits and food supplements should also be distributed to the poor and vulnerable.
YEN.com.gh also reported earlier that National Democratic Congress (NDC) parliamentary candidate for the Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency, John Dumelo, says it is important for government to increase mass testing of Ghanaians as a way of tackling the current disease.
He opined that the government should make available more test kits in the country to increase the capacity of the health professionals to prevent the spread of the disease.
Accra lockdown: Fire outbreak at Haatso Agbogba | #Yencomgh
READ ALSO: Foreigners react after seeing Akufo-Addo's measures against COVID-19
Get interactive via our Facebook page.