In this time and age, the internet is a very crucial part of our lives. We are almost entirely dependent on it. One of the common ways to access the internet is by using modems. Most modems are configured in such a way that you can only use the SIM card of the provider you bought it from. It gets to a point where you might want to use other SIM cards, maybe because of a good offer or something. This will lead you to Google searches like how to decode a modem to use any SIM card.
There are many reasons why a modem might be locked. It might be so that the company might keep its customers and not lose them to its competitors. It could be because the modem was sold on offer, hence a way for the company to return its money, among others. Whatever the reasons might be, here as some ways to unlock some famous modems to use any SIM card
Unlock Huawei modem
Most of the modems we have around are from Huawei. There are different ways to unlock such modems. This is through some sites as well as some modem unlocking software.
How to unlock Huawei modem using Huawei Unlock Code Calculator
Before showing you how to decode your Huawei modem, it should be noted that this method does not work for all devices. To unlock a Huawei modem, you need to:
1. Find your way to your modems homepage. You can do this by searching 192. 168. 8. 1 in your browser. Once there, choose advanced settings, then device information, and write down the IMEI number. An alternative for this would be to look inside your modem just underneath the battery.
2. There are three methods to use depending on your IMEI number:
- For IMEI numbers starting with 35, you will use Huawei Unlock Code Calculator v1.
- For IMEI numbers starting with 86, you will use Huawei Unlock Code Calculator v2.
- For Huawei routers, you will use Huawei Unlock Code Calculator v3.
3. You are required to enter your IMEI number to the one that suits your IMEI number and press calculate. Write down the code that you will receive.
4. Turn off your modem, then insert a different SIM card or what might be referred to as an invalid SIM card by the modem.
5. Turn on your modem, and find your way back to the homepage. Click Advanced settings, then choose SIM settings and finally click on unlock device.
6. There will be a dialogue box asking for the unlock code. Enter the code you had written down from the unlocker calculator and click apply
READ ALSO: Busy internet MiFi - ultimate user guide
How to unlock Huawei modem using Huawei Modem Unlocker
This is another way you can use to crack a modem online. This modem unlocker setup and usage is user friendly. It can even be used to decode a Tigo Huawei modem. The process is as follows:
- Download and install the right Huawei USB drivers on your computer.
- Take a USB cable and connect the device with your computer.
- Download the Huawei Modem Unlocker software and install it to your computer by following the instructions provided
- Start the tool and click on the refresh button.
- The next step is to select the “Auto-Unlock Modem” option inside the tool.
- Click the unlock button, and your modem will be unlocked.
Advantages of using the Huawei Modem Unlocker tool
- It can easily unlock most of the Huawei devices.
- Allows one to unlock their modem temporarily or permanently. It all depends on what you want.
- Can be used to reset a modem
- Can be used to reboot a modem
- Can modify upload or download speeds in some Huawei modems
Can you use any SIM card without unlocking your modem?
Yes, you can. This can help you preserve your warranty for the modem but still use any SIM card you want. This can be achieved through the following method:
- Download and install Nokia PC Suite to your computer
- Change the default SIM card of your modem to any other SIM from another network provider.
- Connect the dongle to your computer
- An “Invalid SIM” warning will appear, ignore it and close the modem software
- Launch the Nokia PC Suite program
- Click on file then choose connect to the internet.
- Click on the spanner icon to make some settings.
- Select your modem from the list and input the operator APN setting to use Nokia mobile connection.
- Finish the setup and connect to the internet through Nokia PC Suite.
That's how to decode a modem to use any SIM card. Let us know if the information was helpful in the comments section below.