Shito is among the native languages in Ghana which means black pepper. It is a popular part of the Ghanaian cuisine made from fish and blended spices. This recipe originated from the Ga, tribe of Ghana. Different communities use different bands of spices and different fish.
Shito sauce is a very celebrated sauce in Ghana made of pepper that is served with steamed rice, kenkey or waakye. This sauce is used just like ketchup. In some cases, shito is eaten with bread. In Ghana, the love for spices is unending, but what can we say? Food without spices is just food but food that has spices is a delicacy in Ghana. Below are the specific ingredients for making shito at the comfort of your home.
- Chopped onions
- Dried herrings
- Dried powdered shrimps
- Fresh pepper
- Dried pepper powder
- Tomato puree
- Minced garlic
- Sliced ginger
- Powdered cloves
- Salad oil
READ ALSO How to prepare jollof rice in Ghana
Shito recipe Ghana
- Place your saucepan over the fire, and heat the vegetable oil. Add onions, fresh pepper, garlic and the ginger simultaneously
- Fry for around 7 minutes while stirring them using a spoon until they soften and make sure that they do not turn brown.
- Remove the pan from the fire, to allow the vegetables to cool
- Take another sauce pan, and put it on the fire.
- Heat the oil in it and then add tomato puree
- After about 6 minutes, add the blended vegetables. Keep on stirring continuously
- Add the dried fish, powdered shrimps and the herrings
- Add seasoning followed by the powdered pepper
- Reduce the heat then stir continuously until it is dark brown
- Add the required spices and then taste to see if the salt is enough
- Stir for a bit then remove from the fire
- Store in a cool dry place
The shito recipe is a quick procedure that accompany other meals as a sauce. The shito is indeed an icing to the cake. The spices incorporated make you want to demand for more. Ghana harbors a haven for amazing cuisine, and the food is very nutritious.
The nutritive value of shito comprises of sodium and potassium. In one table spoon of Shito food the body gets 190 grams of sodium and 14 grams of potassium. This sauce is very good for slimmers because it does not increase the amount of fats in the body. If you feel the need to eat healthy and loose weight shito is a way forward.
READ ALSO How to prepare pancake in Ghana