Learn how to prepare light soup at the comfort of your home in a few simple steps. There are days that you want good food but have no idea what to make. Consider this recipe for the best light soup with dry fish. It is great on your taste buds and also packed with nutritional value. You will not regret taking time off to learn how to make this soup.
How to prepare light soup with dry fish
It is possible to prepare healthy foods at home. One such meal is the light soup with fish. There are different variations of these meal depending on whether you are using dry or fresh fish. It also matter what you choose to serve the meal with. Here is a recipe on how to prepare light soup with tilapia fish.
- Use any dry fish for the light soup. Choose fish that you love the most
- Salted beef. This is an optional ingredient
- Powdered shrimp
- Garden eggs
- Fresh tomatoes
- Blended onion, garlic and ginger
- Wash the fish and put it in a large sauce pan
- Wash the salted beef two times and add to the fish
- Add in the blended onions, ginger and garlic
- Add salt, water and seasoning and steam for 3-7 minutes
- Boil pepper, garden eggs and tomatoes
- Blend the boiled ingredients when the vegetable skin begins to peel. Strain the mixture
- Pour the mixture in the saucepan containing the fish and add water depending on the thickness you intend to attain
- Wash and prepare the Okro. Add it into the mixture. Add the powdered shrimp
- Let the soup cook for a minimum of 20 minutes and a maximum of 25 minutes
Your soup is ready. Serve it with your best accompaniment choice or you can choose to eat it on its own. Common accompaniments include fufu, kenkey or even banku.
How to prepare light soup with smoked fish
Light soup is one of the favorite dishes in Ghana. One thing about Ghanaian food is that sometimes it tends to be too spicy such that anyone not used to spicy food may have trouble with it. As such, taking time to prepare a meal like simple light soup with fish can be a relief to many especially those that do not want spicy food. Here is a recipe that works. The smoked fish gives the soup a unique taste that you will appreciate.
READ ALSO:How to prepare banku
Before getting into the details of cooking this meal it helps to note that this light soup is a healthy option for all Ghanaians. In fact it is recommended for the sick and can be a great relief when you have cold or flu. The fact that it is very easy to cook and can be paired with gari, fufu, pounded yam or even rice is a plus. Learn how to make this fresh soup for yourself anytime.
- Dried fish
- Limes- 2 small sized ones
- Onion- 2 medium size
- Tomatoes- 3 medium sizes
- Tomato paste/puree- a small tin
- Pepper- a handful
- Spices- ginger, garlic, fish spice
How to prepare
- Clean the fish with lime. Put water in a bowl and squeeze in the lime to wash.
- Season the fish with salt, ginger, garlic and onion mixture. You can also add some fish spice to this mixture.
- Marinate the fish for some few hours. Put the fish in a large sized sauce pan and bring to boil for five minutes. Once done take the fish out from the stock.
- Fill the saucepan ¾ way with water.
- Turn the heat up until boiling
- Add the vegetable and let the water boil until the vegetables are soft
- Reduce the heat, remove the vegetables and blend them into a smooth paste.
- Pour this back into the saucepan
- Add water to a level slightly above what you want
- Add in the fish and salt. Bring it to simmer over heat for 5 minutes.
- The fish soup is considered ready. Serve it hot with boiled yam, rice of fufu.
Fufu light soup
This refers to light soup served with fufu. Here is an ingredient that is easy to follow and make for your family any time.
Ingredients to be used
- Neat fufu (flour)
- 4 whole tomatoes
- One small sized onion
- Fresh red pepper
- Salt and seasoning cube
- Meat. Preferably beef
Steps – cooking procedure
- Pour two handfuls of fufu flour in a clean dry pot and mix with water to form a thick paste. Keep stirring the fufu to avoid creating lumps in the fufu.
- Put the mixture on medium heat and keep stirring. As this gets thick begin to knead it into dough.
- The fufu is ready when it doesn’t taste floury and is a neat dough. In case it still tastes floury and is not neat then allow it to cook for another 15 minutes kneading it after every 5 minutes. This will help prevent it to from burning the bottom of the pot.
- When the fufu is done it does not stick to the pot’s bottom.
This is how to prepare light soup for fufu. Simple and straight forward.
- Wash the tomatoes, onions and pepper.
- Remove the head on the onions and stem on the pepper
- Steam meat. Put the whole tomatoes, pepper and onion in a saucepan with one cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Remove the whole ingredients from the water and blend. Keep the water too.
- Pour the blended tomatoes into boiling water and cook for 15 minutes then add the meat stock. To this add salt, Maggi cube and let it boil for 5 minutes. Add the meat and boil for 10 minutes.
- Sieve the soup to get clear light soup. This is an optional step
- Your soup is ready to serve
- Serve it Ghanaian style by molding fufu into a bowl and place it in the middle of the bowl. Pour the soup in the bowl and lots of meat too. Enjoy the meal.
READ ALSO:How to prepare beef sauce in Ghana
How to prepare light soup Ghana style
Ghanaians have a way with light soup. While some people prefer meat only, others will use fish or both in their light soups. For fish, there are those that prefer dried, smoked or fresh fish. Whichever your preference is, the fish light soup is one that is recommended for people of different ages. It is pretty good even for the sick. Here is a recipe for how to prepare Ghanaian tilapia light soup especially if you are using fresh fish. Consider the following tips if you want to learn how to prepare light soup with fresh fish.
- 2 large tilapias(cut each into 3 or 4 pieces)
- 6 tomatoes
- 5 garden eggs
- 2 onions
- Ten peppers
- Salt to season
- Sprinkle a tablespoonful of salt over the fish and toss all the fish pieces together. Leave this to marinate for a while.
- Cut the stalks of the garden eggs and slice them into two. Peel the onions and place them along with the tomatoes, pepper and half garden eggs. Add one liter of water into this and cover till it boils.
- Tomatoes will cook first. When they soften and about to break, remove them and pepper out ad blend them until smooth. Use a colander to sieve. Take 3 garden eggs form the available 5 and pour the pureed tomatoes into the pot. Pour water over the 3 garden eggs and let them cool. Remove the skin and seeds.
- The onions should be ready by now. Add them to the garden eggs and blend them together. This do not require any sieving hence the need to thoroughly and mix into the pot.
- Add the tilapia to the mixture and cover. Add water to change the thickness. Check the thickness of the soup and add a necessary. Boil this mixture gently until cooked. This should take about 10 minutes.
- The garden eggs will be left in the soup. Use them to serve the soup with. Alternatively have the soup with banku. Fufu, yam, rice or potatoes.
- Enjoy the soup.
How to prepare light soup with smoked fish
This is a dish of light soup combined with fish, meat and vegetables that will ultimately find its way in one pot.
- Beef – 500g
- Ginger- 20g
- Fish-500g smoked fish. You can use cod fish or fresh fish
- Tomato puree- 30ml
- Fresh tomatoes-400g
- Water-1-2 liters
- Garden eggs- 400g
- Start by cooking the garden eggs, ginger and pepper in a pot. This should take about 30 minutes to be ready.
- Also simmer the meat with onion and salt until it becomes tender
- In the event that you are using cod fish make sure it is soaked overnight to make it soft. This will also eliminate its saltiness. In case you do not get to do this be careful not to add salt at the beginning of the dish.
- Once the garden eggs mixture is ready, puree it with the ginger and pepper with a little bit of the stick water from boiling. Add the pureed mixture to the steamed meat
- To this mixture add the 1-2 liters of water.
- Puree fresh tomatoes and add to the mixture. Add the okra and fish to the mixture. Let the mixture cook for about an hour. Remove the fresh tomatoes and blend them then add to the soup.
- Adjust the seasoning to your preference and allow the soup to cook for some more 30 minutes. It will be ready to serve. You can choose to eat the soup on its own or serve it with an accompaniment of your choice. Most common accompaniments include rice and fufu.
Advantages of light soup
To truly appreciate the need to make light soup it helps to know what you are going to gain from it. The following are some of the benefits of light soup.
- It is easy to make
- It is packed with a lot of nutrients from the proteins in fish and meat as well as the vegetables that are used.
- It is easy to ingest making it a great choice for people of all ages and especially good for the sick who cannot take anything hard down.
- It is a healthier choice because you know all the ingredients that go into making the food.
- It is affordable because you are using ingredients that are readily available.
Enjoy your soup knowing that you are taking something that is truly beneficial to your life. What’s more, the real taste of traditional food still remains intact.