Oppong Nkrumah: Minister drops hints of possible lock down in selected regions

Oppong Nkrumah: Minister drops hints of possible lock down in selected regions

- Information Minister, Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah says a possible lockdown in some parts of the country is imminent

- The deadly COVID-19 continues to spread like wildfire in the world

- Ghana has now recorded 132 positive cases and three deaths

- Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

Ghana’s Information Minister, Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah, has hinted that government will soon resort to restrictions in some parts of the country, as part of the measures to curb the spread of the novel COVID-19.

According to the MP for the Ofoase-Ayirebi constituency, government will resort to any means possible in its attempt to halt the spread of the coronavirus.

READ ALSO: 132 Ghanaians infected with coronavirus; 3 people dead

So far, every step of the way, the government has been very proactive with coming up with measures to contain the situation. Those final rafts of measures now that the law has been put in place may include some restrictions in some parts of the country but whatever will be done will be with the objective of ensuring that we totally negate the potential for community spread,” he said in an interview on Citi FM in Accra on Thursday, March 26.

Parliament last week passed the Imposition of Restrictions Law.

President Akufo-Addo may soon have to resort to this law if he wants to urgently stop or reduce the spread of the deadly virus.

Ghana has so far recorded 132 cases of COVID-19 including three deaths.

Meanwhile, the Ghana Medical Association (GMA), in a statement released on Wednesday, March 25, expressed concerns about the spread of COVID-19 and asked the government to immediately consider a lockdown of the entire nation.

READ ALSO: “They are fabricated stories” - Obinim says after Kennedy Agyapong exposed him

According to the Association, the lockdown, though not a comfortable decision for leadership of the country and citizens, is a proven alternative that will be in the best interest of the populace.

YEN.com.gh earlier reported that a Ghanaian couple has held their wedding amid the ban on public gatherings which is currently being enforced in the country.

President Nana Akufo-Addo, on March 15, 2020, placed a ban on all public and social gatherings including funerals and weddings.

Coronavirus in Ghana: Disinfection of Accra Markets against COVID-19 | #Yencomgh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome.

Get interactive via our Facebook page.

Source: Yen Ghana

Mailfire view pixel