The Ghanaian and global market for mid-range smartphones has been experiencing steady competition over the years. Samsung is one of the renowned competitors who recently released the Samsung Galaxy A51 in a bid to keep up with this competition under this market range. The device boasts numerous fantastic features with enhanced speed and overall performance.
Samsung company axed the J series devices and launched a brand-new approach to the upper mid-range segment with the A-series. In line with the A-series releases are the devices ranging from A20 to A90. The brand new A51 has followed the 2019 A50. When was the Samsung Galaxy A51 release date? The phone was released in December 2019, and it has been readily available since then.
Samsung Galaxy A51 overview
Just like all the other devices, this brand new phone has its good side and bad side as well. These are as follows:
- The camera bump at the back of the phone doesn't protrude too much.
- It boasts a full high definition screen.
- It has decent battery life.
- Most of the bloatware can be uninstalled.
- It takes great shots during the day and under good lighting.
- It has a large display that makes it easy to watch movies and videos or play mobile phone games.
READ ALSO: Tecno phones prices in Ghana 2020
- The Exynos 9611 processor is a bit weak for such a device in 2020.
- Biometric authentication works well, but it's a little slow.
- It has some pre-installed bloatware such as third-party and Samsung applications.
- The pictures are not pretty good at night or under poor lighting.
- It is not dust or water-resistant.
Samsung Galaxy A51 specs
The Samsung Galaxy A51 features and specifications are as follows:
- Release date: December 2019
- Dimensions: 158.5 x 73.6 x 7.9 millimeters (6.24 x 2.90 x 0.31 inches)
- Weight: 172 g (6.07 oz.)
- Build material: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 3), plastic back, plastic frame
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Display size: 6.5 inches, 102.0 cm2 (~87.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Display type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours
- Display resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratios
- OS: Android 10.0; One UI 2
- CPU: Octa-core (4x2.3 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x1.7 GHz Cortex-A53)
- Chipset: Exynos 9611 (10nm)
- Internal memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM
- External memory: Micro-SD (up to 256 GB)
- Main camera: Quad - 48megapixels, 12 megapixels, 5 megapixels and 5 megapixels
- Selfie camera: 32 megapixels
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, and LE
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Radio: FM radio
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Samsung Galaxy A51 colours: Prism Crush Black, White, Blue, and Pink
READ ALSO: 6 great smartphones with long battery lives
When you are conducting the Samsung Galaxy A51 review, here are the hardware features that you will note:
The Samsung Galaxy A51 has a design that is similar to that of the Samsung Galaxy A50s. The A51 model has an all-polycarbonate body which is slim, has a fair lightness of 172g and a thickness of 7.9mm. The phone's glossy body tends to pick fingerprints even though the Prism Crush Black type doesn't make them too visible. The rear part is slippery, but thankfully the device comes with a case in the box.
For the first time in the series of Galaxy A-phones, this model has an Infinity-O display which is a hole in the upper middle of the screen. The brand hasn't enacted too many changes on the body's design, but the hole-punch display offers the A51 a premium look which is worth noticing and appreciating. The Super AMOLED panel, combined with a full-HD+ resolution enables it to produce excellent sharpness and punchy colours.
The buttons have been placed ergonomically on the right side of the device with a tray for two Nano-SIM cards and one micro-SD card. The bottom section of the phone boasts a headphone socket, speaker grille and USB Type-C port. The model has the familiar-looking camera bump at the back but with four cameras instead.
Just like the display, the Samsung Galaxy A51 screen is modern-looking with an aspect ratio of 20:9. The display size is large and perfect enough for watching movies and videos or playing mobile-phone games. It also offers an excellent platform for creating as well as editing documents on the phone.
Another great feature, one of the high selling points of this device, lies on its full high definition screen. The Samsung Galaxy A51 has a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels with a display type of Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen. The brightness is excellent, and it has lively colours which make it enjoyable to watch any content on it.
Processor, storage and performance
Just like some of their other devices, Samsung has stuck with the Exynos 9611 processor. The phone is available with a RAM of either 6GD or 8GB, and both of them have internal storage of 128GB. Some of the other specific Samsung Galaxy A51 details include dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5, GPS, NFC, and FM radio. It also has the usual sensors and a Widevine L1 certification. With Samsung Galaxy A51, you can make contactless payments since the phone supports Samsung Pay.
The Samsung Galaxy A51 uses a 4,000mAh battery which posted a runtime of 14 hours and 55 minutes during the HD video loop test, which is a pretty decent period. The user can get a full day's worthwhile using the device regularly and still leave enough power for another half day. The battery has a super-fast charging capacity with the ability to attain 67 per cent in just an hour.
Speaker and call quality
The device supports Dolby Atmos when you plug in the wired headphones. The audio quality of this device is average compared to other devices, although it sounds much better when using a higher grade headphone from after-market. The bottom-firing speaker of the Samsung Galaxy A51 is not very loud, but it's sufficient for personal listening.
The sound transmission of the device when receiving or making calls is of high quality.
Here are the software features of the device:
OS and features
The phone comes with a pre-installed Android 10.0 with One UI 2. The version may feel and look similar to the previous One UI models, but Samsung has created additional tweaks to improve the overall user's experience.
It has an in-display fingerprint sensor which is a bit slow in authenticating and unlocking the phone. Similarly, the facial recognition works well but slower as well.
Samsung Galaxy A51 camera specs
Apart from the device's HD display, the camera specs are another selling point for the Samsung Galaxy A51. The phone comes with both the primary camera and the selfie camera. The primary camera is located at the backside of the phone with four cameras with a resolution of 48 megapixels, 12 megapixels, and two 5 megapixels. The selfie camera is located on the upper front part of the device with a resolution of 32 megapixels.
The default camera setting of the primary camera is an oversampled 12-megapixels, but the user can use the full range resolution of 48 megapixels. The option of this full resolution is hidden away in the aspect ratio menu of the camera. While under the right lighting conditions, the device is capable of capturing detailed shots of all the objects located at the centre of the frame. The objects found towards the edge of the frame appear blurry and softer as compared to those at the centre.
Samsung Galaxy A51 review
Here are some of the comments and reviews that members of the public have expressed on Twitter:
Samsung Galaxy A51 accessories
When you buy the phone, you should find the following accessories in the box:
- 15W fast charger
- Type-C cable
- SIM-eject tool
- User manual
Samsung Galaxy A51 price
This smartphone is readily available in both online and offline shops across Ghana. It sells at the cost of GC₵ 1, 250 in Ghana. Depending on the seller you go for, you can get it at between GC₵ 1, 000 and GC₵ 1,850 on JiJi. You can also get it at GC₵ 1,789.00 on Telefonika.
The Samsung Galaxy A51 is quite likeable for the individuals who are in search of a more polished experience despite its not-so-friendly pricing. Out of the box, you get a light and slim body, stable battery life, Samsung Pay, a crisp enough display, not forgetting the Samsung brand. It would have been preferable to have a more powerful processor and a more sensitive biometric and facial recognition sensor with such a price.
Samsung Galaxy A51 is the latest A-series released by Samsung. The phone was availed for retail in December 2019, and it's a suitable model for students or even the working class. It boasts excellent features as seen in the camera, storage and performance, among others.
READ ALSO: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge price in Ghana and review