- Fire has gutted parts of the Kantamanto market in Accra
- The fire reportedly started around 10 pm on Tuesday, December 15, 2020
- According to eyewitnesses that by 10:20 pm, the fire had gone out of control
Trending topics on the go: How we write news at YEN.com.gh
Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana
News reaching YEN.com.gh indicates that fire has gutted parts of the Kantamanto market in Accra’s central business district.
According to a CitiNews report, the fire reportedly started around 10 pm on Tuesday, December 15, 2020.
An eyewitness recounted that by 10:20 pm, the fire had gone out of control.
Personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service reportedly got to the fire station at around 11 pm.
The firefighters are currently on the ground to help douse the fire that has so far destroyed many goods including clothes.
They have managed to stop the the blazing inferno from spreading and are trying to quench the fire.
Just like many fire outbreaks it is unclear what exactly sparked and started the fire at Ghana's biggest second hand clothes hub.
A similar incident in that same enclave occurred last month with the Accra central branch of GCB Bank when one of the bank’s offices was razed.
Barely a month ago, fire gutted the Odawna market in Accra, in the early hours of Wednesday, November 18, 2020.
According to Public Relations Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, Ellis Okoe Robinson, the fire at the market started at about 12 midnight but the fire service was called two hours later.
The fire officer mentioned that, because access routes to the exact spot of the fire, the fire tenders faced difficulties in trying to access it.
He added that a lot of pipes had to be connected n order to reach the point of the fire. This, he said, reduces the pressure that will quench the fire.
According to him, they struggled to enter the market due to the blocked access routes caused by container shops cited at un appropriate points.
In a related development, at least seven shops have been ravaged by fire in Koforidua in the Eastern region, destroying properties worth millions of Ghana cedis.
The incident which occurred around 10:15ma on Tuesday, December 15, 2020, was reportedly caused by an electrical fault on the main power supply pole of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), Starr FM reported.
The inferno quickly spread to the nearby shops, among them a popular one called ‘Obaa Yaa’.
Have national and human interest issues to discuss? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.