12 teenagers who drowned in Apam to be buried on March 16 after traditional rites

12 teenagers who drowned in Apam to be buried on March 16 after traditional rites

- 12 teenagers whose bodies were retrieved after they drowned in the sea at Apam will be buried next week

- The burial was shifted to March 16, 2021, to pave way for some rites to be performed by the community

- The bodies will be given to the individual families to bury instead of having a mass burial

Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

News reaching YEN.com.gh indicates that the 12 teenagers whose bodies were retrieved after they drowned in the sea at Apam will be buried next week.

The Gomoa West Security Council has disclosed that a burial service will be held next week Tuesday, March 16, 2021

According to a report filed by Citinews, the bodies will be given to the individual families to bury instead of having a mass burial.

12 teenagers who drowned in Apam to be buried next week
12 teenagers who drowned in Apam to be buried next week
Source: Twitter

The council said the event which was originally slated for today, March 11, has been postponed to pave way for some rites to be performed by the community.

Read also

Apam drowning: Burial Service held for 13 teenagers

On Monday, March 8, 2021, news broke that some teenagers numbering over 20, between the ages of 13 and 18 years were reported to have drowned at the Apam beach.

Some reports indicated that over 20 teens may have drowned in the incident but 12 bodies have been recovered so far.

Various reports suggested that they went swimming at the beach after they had finished playing football, as they usually referred to it as 'Sunday Special.'

According to survivors from the incident, a heavy tidal wave overwhelmed them leading to the tragedy on Sunday evening.

They further revealed that they did not see what happened next as the tides hit the second time taken a greater number of their friends with it.

The next morning, four of the lifeless bodies of the teenagers were recovered and more bodies were found during the day by fishermen helping with recovery efforts.

In other news, Philip Caezar Kumah, a deputy director of the Youth Employment Agency (YEA), has reportedly beaten his girlfriend to death in Akatsi North of the Volta Region.

Read also

Hang the kidnappers on live TV - Families of Takoradi girls make fresh demands

Confirming the development to Accra-based Starr FM, the Volta Regional Police PRO, Sgt. Prince Dogbatse, said the deceased, Elizabeth Yesutor, informed her friends about the abusive nature of Kumah.

Enjoy reading our stories? Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel!

Never miss important updates! Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!

Source: Yen.com.gh

Online view pixel