- Prince Harry has accused his family of "total neglect and silence" in a new documentary series chronicling mental health
- The Duke of Sussex has also shared he struggled with substance abuse following Princess Diana's passing
- Today, the young prince says he has no regrets about moving to the US and that consistent therapy helps heal some of the past traumas
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
The Duke of Sussex has criticised the Royal Family for their "total neglect" in a new docu-series about mental illness.
Speaking with legendary TV anchor Oprah Winfrey, the Prince also revealed he turned to drink and drugs as an adult following the death of his mother, Princess Diana.
The Apple TV+ series titled The Me You Can't See is set for release this Friday.
According to a previous article by Sky News, Harry claims the family did not deal with the death of Diana but instead expected the motherless young boy to deal with the resulting media attention.
His anxieties often got the better of him, turning to alcohol and abusive substances for comfort.
"I was willing to drink, I was willing to take drugs, I was willing to do the things that made me feel less like I was feeling."
Prince Harry also once again emphasised his family's lack of empathy, having turned a blind eye to the many struggles of his wife Meghan Markle and saying they were "bullied into silence."
"I felt completely helpless. I thought my family would help - but every single ask, request, warning, whatever it is, just got met with total silence or total neglect," the duke told Oprah Winfrey.
"We spent four years trying to make it work. We did everything that we possibly could to stay there and carry on doing the role and doing the job."
According to a previous article by IOL, Harry found the isolation and emotional abuse triggering because it reminded him of the suffering his late mother was confronted with.
"History was repeating itself. My mother was chased to her death while she was in a relationship with someone who wasn’t white. And now look what’s happened. It’s incredibly triggering to potentially lose another woman in my life." he added.
Today, Harry says he has no regrets about moving across to the US and adds that therapy has helped him deal with his many emotional struggles.
Meanwhile, YEN News previously reported that Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry on Monday, 17 May gave their worldwide fans more reasons to connect with them after finally dropping the trailer for their mental health TV series dubbed The Me You Can’t See.
YEN News understands the two co-executive-produced the show in a bit to shed light on mental health and how many people, including notable world celebrities, have been dealing with the same.
The trailer of the mental health series, which also saw brief appearances from Harry's wife, Duchess Meghan, as well as singer Lady Gaga and actress Glenn Close, moved many people across the world.
Many who camped on the social media pages of Oprah and Harry lauded them for highlighting some of the less-talked-about social problems. The trailer touched many people who could not help but pray to see Friday, 21 May in haste when it will make an official debut on Apple+.
It should be noted Winfrey and Prince Harry are co-creators and executive producers for the TV series that was first announced in 2019. The series features high-profile guests and mental health experts and it profiles people from across the globe.
Enjoy reading our stories? Join YEN.com.gh's Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!