George Akuffo Dampare
- Name: George Akuffo Dampare
- Date of birth: 1970
- Country: Ghana
- Nationality: Ghanaian
- Profession: Police Officer, Chartered Accountant
Who is George Akuffo Dampare?
George Akuffo Dampare is a distinguished Ghanaian chartered accountant and police officer. Selected by President Nana Akufo-Addo on July 21, 2021, he assumed the role of the acting Inspector General of Police (IGP) for the Ghana Police Service, officially commencing his duties on August 1, 2021.
Notably, he holds the distinction of being the youngest Inspector General of Police in Ghana's Fourth Republic. His assumption of this prestigious position came after succeeding James Oppong-Boanuh, who had been in office since October 2019. Furthermore, his appointment makes him the eighth youngest IGP in Ghana's history since gaining independence.
Background and family
- George Akuffo Dampare was born in 1970 in Ghana.
- He is married with six children.
- His wife’s name is Anita.
Academic and professional qualifications
At the young age of 20, in December 1990, he embarked on his journey with the Ghana Police Service, commencing his career as a Police Constable.
He was adjudged the overall Best Recruit at the National Police Training School, winning all awards except the award for the Best Marksman.
He became a chartered accountant by age 25 while serving as a Police Constable.
He furthered his studies and obtained a Ph.D. in Finance from King's College London.
Dampare is a certified High Impact Leadership graduate from the prestigious Institute for Sustainability Leadership at the esteemed University of Cambridge, UK.
He also earned a certificate in Leadership and Management from the Aresty Institute of Executive Education at The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA.
He also served as an Adjunct Lecturer at the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) and the University of Cape Coast.
Leadership and management roles
Before assuming the role of IGP, Dampare gained extensive experience in various command and staff positions within the Ghana Police Service, which encompassed the following:
- Aide-de-camp to the Vice President
- Director General (Finance)
- Director General (Welfare)
- Director General (Research and Planning)
- Director General (ICT)
- Commandant of the Police Command and Staff College
- Accra Regional Police Commander
- Director General (Operations)
Notable cases and achievements
- He led the arrest of suspected killers of Abuakwa North MP, J.B. Danquah Adu, in one of his major cases.
- Between 2010 and 2015, Dr Dampare led and coordinated the 'National Anti-armed Robbery Reward to Informant Initiative' under the leadership of IGPs Paul Tawiah Quaye and Mohammed Ahmed Alhassan. This initiative resulted in the arrest and prosecution of numerous notorious armed robbers across the country.
- As the Accra Regional Commander, Dr Dampare secured private sector funding to complete a new office complex and re-roofed 90% of the dilapidated office buildings at the Regional Headquarters.
- He was sworn in as the substantive IGP on October 8, 2021, after receiving confirmation from President Akufo-Addo.