Garden egg stew is one of the most favorite stews for Ghanaians. Garden egg commonly known as egg plant is actually the main ingredient for this meal.The egg plant is actually a fruit but in this meal it is used as a vegetable.
The fruit is referred to as egg plant because of its shape that mainly because of its shape which closely resembles that of an egg. In native Ghana using the egg stew in meals was common as it was thought to bring blessings. In Ghana garden egg stew is taken with either boiled potatoes or yam and sometimes with eba or rice. This particular stew is very tasty and mouth-watering apart from the fact that it is healthy.
READ ALSO: How to make groundnut paste at home
Calories in egg stew.
If you will probably try out this recipe it is important to note the quantity of the calories in them. Many of us are very sensitive about the damage or good certain foods can do to us. Per serving, the garden egg stew contains about 246.2mg of calories. Eggplant is by the way very useful in weight loss. More so since the stew includes tilapia one does not need to worry since the meal is very nutritive.
How to prepare Garden egg stew in Ghana.
The preparation of garden egg stew requires total keenness in order to bring out the authentic taste of the eggplant. The recipe for Ghana egg stew is very interesting and uncomplicated. Ensure you use clean utensils that are dry. Also remember to thoroughly wash your ingredients to avoid any stomach infections.
• 10 garden eggs.
• Fresh tilapia, cut into pieces.
• 6 well ripen tomatoes
• Hot pepper, kpakpo shito.
• 3 onions (chopped).
• Palm oil
• Salt to taste
Garden egg stew preparation.
- Season the tilapia with salt and the other spices for about an hour in the refrigerator.
- Fry the onions in the palm oil until golden brown (avoid burning the onions).
- Remove the stalks of the egg plants and cut each into two parts.
- Boil the garden eggs for 15 minutes under high heat until the outer layer begins to peel off.
- Put in the blended tomatoes and pepper to the already frying onions and stir for about 7 minutes.
- Put in the salt.
- Remove the skin of the egg plants (optional).Mash the egg plants into a thick, rough paste.
- To the stew add the mashed potatoes egg plants. Add the tilapia into the stew
- Allow the stew to simmer for about twenty minutes while stirring periodically.
- Serve hot with boiled potatoes or rice.
The ingredients for preparing this meal are readily available in supermarkets and other stores. The garden egg stew is really great and will definitely leave you wanting more.
Relieve some stress and try preparing this awesome meal .