More photos of the $3.2m Mercedes Benz cars seized by Customs

More photos of the $3.2m Mercedes Benz cars seized by Customs

- The two cars were smuggled into the country without proper documentations

- The businessman behind the luxury cars is blaming the clearing agent for smuggling the cars

READ ALSO: Businessman behind $3.2m seized cars breaks his silence

National Security operatives on January 10, 2018 impounded two smuggled luxurious Mercedes Benz cars said to $3.2 million.

White Mercedes Benz surrounded by police personnel

Mercedes Benz 300 SL costs about $1.8 million

According to media reports, the cars were imported by an Accra-based businessman into the country from Germany.

However, the vehicles were smuggled through the Aflao boarder without proper documentations to avoid about GHc900,00 customs duty.

A black Mercedes Benz 190 SL

Mercedes Benz 190 SL cost $1.4 million

The two vehicles; Mercedes Benz 300 SL, (white colour) which costs about $1.8 million and Mercedes Benz 190 SL, black [$1.4 million], officials say did not have the required documentation covering their importation.

The prominent businessman, name withheld, told Myjoyonline.com that he genuinely imported the vehicles from Germany to Ghana but the clearing agent he contracted rather smuggled them into the country.

READ ALSO: Top 5 female musicians who do not write their own songs

A side view of the Mercedes Benz 300 SL

The white Mercedes Benz 300 SL

Therefore he did no wrong by buying the luxury cars.

The two vintage Mercedes Benz vehicles which was a successfully smuggled into country were dumped at the official residence of the Ketu South MCE, Elliot Edem Agbenorwu to avoid the GHc 900,00 customs duty.

However, the MCE who got furious about the criminal activities, said he was forced to blow the cover of the smugglers.

A side view of the Black Mercedes Benz

Customs duty on the two cars is estimated at GHc900,00

Mr Agbenorwu told security officials that, though the two vehicles were retrieved from his official residence, he currently does not live in that house since the facility is under renovation.

The MCE said he got alarmed about the incident since he had warned them against a similar act last year.

So far, the two vehicles have been impounded by the Aflao sector command of Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) for further investigations.

READ ALSO: Completed Bank of Ghana hospital left unused

Subscribe to watch new videos

YEN.com.gh is building a platform where Ghanaians can share local news and own experiences with each other. Witnessing an incident? Want to tell about a local problem? Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition? Your stories and photos are always welcome. Message us on Facebook now

Source: Yen.com.gh

Related news
23-year-old African boy finds love of his life in an 87-year-old lady

23-year-old African boy finds love of his life in an 87-year-old lady

23-year-old African boy finds love of his life in an 87-year-old lady
YEN.com.gh
Mailfire view pixel