Effective thanksgiving takes place when you praise God genuinely. So, if you are looking for some worship Bible verses that will motivate you when you need to give thanks to God, these are the powerful verses that you can use. Based on the understanding of Isaiah 43:21 which says that "This people have I formed for myself; they shall show forth my praise", it is evident that praising God and worshiping Him are major responsibilities for everyone. Therefore, as you read through these Bible verses with an open heart, you should get a better understanding of why you should praise and worship God, and how you can do that effectively.
It has often been said that one could pray amiss but no one can ever praise amiss. God is always happy when you praise Him. In fact, Psalm 22:3 says,
"But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel".
From this, we understand that God dwells in places or in atmospheres where praises are rendered to Him, and guess what? When you learn to praise and worship God, you are only inviting His presence into your life and home. And when He dwells in your life and home, you can be sure of the great things that will begin to happen to you.
Praise and worship Bible verses
Here are some Bible verses about praise and worship that are capable of stirring up your spirit on the need to praise God and worship Him in the beauty of His holiness. They have some words that you can say back to God while worshiping Him. Also, some of them give the benefits that are derived in the process of giving thanks to God.
1. Exodus 23:25 (NIV)
"Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you."
The verse above not only tells you to worship God, but it also explains the benefits that are in worshiping God, which are: the release of His blessing upon you and a healthy life that is free from sickness.
2. Psalm 103:1-5 (KJV)
1 Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with loving kindness and tender mercies;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
The verses above explain the reasons why you need to worship God. According to the passage, some of them include the fact that God forgave your sins, healed you from sicknesses which could have taken your life, and that God blesses you with the good things of life.
3. 1 Chronicles 16:34-35
34 O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good; for his mercy endureth forever.
35 And say ye, Save us, O God of our salvation, and gather us together, and deliver us from the heathen, that we may give thanks to thy holy name, and glory in thy praise.
The verses above gives a clue of how to make requests from God. It gives a progression of how it should be done and that is after you have worshiped God, then you can place your request before Him.
4. Habakkuk 3:17-18 (NIV)
17 Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Saviour.
God does not want you to praise and worship Him only when things are going well; He wants you to do so at all times. From the verses above, you can see the attitude God wants you to display no matter the situation. Therefore, no matter how the tide turns, learning to praise God always is important.
5. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (KJV)
3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
It is always good to worship God based on the comfort He gives us in times of trouble. Whether the comfort is coming from His word, through His Holy Spirit or He sends someone to encourage you, it is always good to thank God for that.
6. Psalm 68:3-6
3 But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God: yea, let them exceedingly rejoice.
4 Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name Jah, and rejoice before him.
5 A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation.
6 God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.
God is amazing and His level of wisdom is past our understanding. This is one of the reasons why singing songs of praise and worship to God is always a good thing to do. If you look around and consider the manifold work of God, appreciating Him for His wisdom is good.
READ ALSO: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom - proverb, bible verse, meaning and sermon
7. Psalm 42:1-6, 11
1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.
11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
It can be challenging to continue praising God when things are not moving on well. In fact, at such moments, everything just gets boring and you usually do not feel like doing anything. But like David, you can stir up your spirit and encourage yourself to worship and praise God. When you do so, there is a motivation that the Spirit of God grants. This motivation comes in the process of worshiping God and before you know what is happening, your spirit will be alive again.
8. Ephesians 3:20-21 (KJV)
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
These verses express God's ability to do great things beyond our expectations. When you come in contact with these verses in your praise and worship session, you are able to appreciate God for the great and mighty things he does for you that are beyond your comprehension.
When it comes to praise and worship, one of the challenges that some people have is differentiating between the two. You hear questions like, "What does it mean to praise and worship God?"
What it means to praise and worship God
Worship has been defined as the act of attributing reverent honour and homage to God. This means that when we worship God, we revere Him and also give Him the honour He deserves. We recognise who He is to us and what He is capable of doing. In the process of doing this, calling Him names such as "The mighty God", "the Creator of heaven and the earth", "the Man of war", and so on are good ways to worship God. You will discover that these names are expressions of who God is.
In the same vein, when we praise God, we are joyfully recounting everything that He has done for us. This is to say that any time we appreciate God for His mercy, forgiveness, provision, protection, and every other benefits that we have enjoyed from Him, we are simply praising Him.
When you truly worship God, it comes with a heart of humility and recognition of your nothingness before Him. It also helps you to see God as the sovereign and the only being who is capable of handling every issue of your life. Worship comes with surrendering every aspect of your life to the control of God and then adoring Him not just for who He is but also for what He has done. Then, when you praise God, you are acknowledging what He has done for you - the benefits that He has showered you with.
While praise can be a part of worship, worship goes beyond just praising God. Worship is meant to be a lifestyle and not just something that you do on occasion. It is an attitude that comes from the heart. In fact, Jesus instructed that the Father is seeking people who would worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:23). This means that God is looking for people who would worship Him from their innermost being and based on the truth that is contained in His Word - the Bible. However, to offer an acceptable worship in spirit means that the heart of the worshiper is free from every form of contamination like sin, anger, malice, and all sorts of negative things that can pollute the sacrifice of worship.
Moreover, if you are a worship leader, it will interest you to know that there are Scriptural verses that can help you to carry out your assignment better. Therefore, apart from the ones that have been discussed so far on praise and worship, we can explore some of the verses that will help you in your assignment as well.
READ ALSO: My help comes from the Lord - sermon, song, lyrics and meaning
Bible verses for worship leaders
The role of worship leaders in any service cannot be underrated. A lot hinges on them because through their worship, they influence how well people praise God during any service. So, as a worship leader, here are some beautiful Bible verses found in the Scripture that can help you to serve the Lord and the church better:
- And in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles, and sing to your name. - Romans 15:9
- About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. - Acts 16:25
- Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises! For God is the King of all the earth; sing praises with a psalm. - Psalm 47:6-7
- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. - Colossians 3:16
- And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart. - Ephesians 5:18-19
- Sing, O heavens, for the LORD has done it; shout, O depths of the earth; break forth into singing, O mountains, O forest, and every tree in it! For the LORD has redeemed Jacob, and will be glorified in Israel. - Isaiah 44:23
- Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord. - Jeremiah 9:23-24
Do you know that worshiping God ought not to be a religious activity only, it should be your lifestyle? If you need something to use in propelling yourself or others to praise God and worship Him, the following are some quotes that you can read and share so that everyone can also begin to see the need to give God thanks as well.
Praise and worship quotes
- Praise and worship is not about how talented you are or what a wonderful and beautiful voice you have. It's all about denying yourself, let God be God in your life and praise Him with all your heart and soul. ― Euginia Herlihy
- One thing I learned going through a storm and that is, you can Praise God in the dark! If God makes light to shine out of darkness, well bless God, I can call forth light into my situation. I am the light of God. Praising Him is not determined by day or night. In whatever state I find myself in, I will continue to acknowledge Him. Then and only then, He will direct my path. ― Shelena Griffiths
- We are not called to be entertainers or performers, we are called to praise and worship our creator. 'Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of salvation.' (Psalms 95:1). ― Euginia Herlihy
- Praise and worship go way beyond the songs we're familiar with, songs we dislike or songs we disapprove. It's all about any type of songs that touch God's heart because He's the creator of nations and tribes and His desire is for every nation and every tribe to praise and worship Him in spirit and in truth. That's the God we serve.
- You've to close down your umbrella when you are under a canopy. Drop your pride; give praise to God! ― Israelmore Ayivor
- Corporate worship is a regular gracious reminder that it’s not about you. You’ve been born into a life that is a celebration of another. —Paul David Tripp
From all that had been discussed so far, we have seen that God expects us to worship and to praise Him all the time, and while praise can be a part of worship, worship goes beyond just singing songs to God. Effective and acceptable worship should come from our innermost being and at the same time, it should be based on an understanding of the truth from God's word. This is what worshiping God in spirit and in truth is about. Then, with the relevant worship Bible verses, it becomes easy to give thanks to God in such a way that would be acceptable to Him.
READ ALSO: Bible verses about love and marriage