COVID-19 lockdown: Asantehene launches GHC1m fund to support the needy in Kumasi

COVID-19 lockdown: Asantehene launches GHC1m fund to support the needy in Kumasi

- The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, has launched a Covid-19 support fund dubbed ''Stay Home, Stay Alive'' programme

- The programme, which has a startup amount of GHC1 million would help provide food supplies and other health items for the vulnerable in the Ashanti Region

- ''Stay Home, Stay Alive'' initiative is part of efforts by the Otumfuo to help the needy cope amid the lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic

Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in

Install our latest app for Android and read the best news about Ghana

As part of efforts to help deprived communities, the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, has launched a Covid-19 support fund, with a startup amount of one million Ghana cedis.

The seed funding for the ''Stay Home, Stay Alive'' programme will be used to purchase food supplies and sanitary items for underserved communities in the traditional area.

This is part of a gesture to ensure that people comply with the president’s directive on the partial lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

Speaking on behalf of the king, the Chief of Staff at the Manhyia Palace, Kofi Badu said Otumfuo is pleased with the level of compliance with the lockdown so far.

Kofi Badu also said the king wants their attitude to continue so that they can collectively deal with the pandemic.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Nurses cry on their knees to seek God's intervention against disease (video)

COVID-19 lockdown: Asantehene launches fund to support the needy in Kumasi

Photo credit: Facebook.com
Source: UGC

The Ashanti Region has been declared one of Ghana’s hotspots for the COVID-19 having recorded some confirmed cases as well as two deaths.

President Akufo-Addo had to impose the partial lockdown in Kumasi and its environs to stem the spread of the disease.

Manhyia Palace hopes to use the relief programme to lessen the plight of the vulnerable amid the lockdown.

Otumfuo’s ''Stay Home, Stay Alive'' initiative will support deprived people of affected parts of the Ashanti Region with food items and other health items to help prevent and contain the spread of coronavirus.

Meanwhile, it was earlier reported that the Ministry of Health has confirmed that the total number of recorded cases for COVID-19 is now 195 as of April 1, 2020.

Also, the Ghana Health Service confirmed that another COVID-19 patient had recovered from the disease.

This brings the total number of recoveries to three.

In other news, a video has surfaced of some nurses reported to be workers at a New York health facility praying.

The footage shows the nurses on their knees while praying to seek God's intervention against the dreaded coronavirus.

READ ALSO: COVID-19 lockdown: DCE for Afigya Kwabre South throws heavy blows at police officer (video)

One on one with the young Ghanaian genius Angela Tabiri who has a Ph.D. in Mathematics | #Yencomgh

Subscribe to watch new videos

Have national and human interest issues to discuss?

Know someone who is extremely talented and needs recognition?

Your stories and photos are always welcome. Get interactive via our Facebook page.

Source: Yen

Mailfire view pixel