On 6 July, the National Democratic Congress (NDC) flag-bearer, John Dramani Mahama, named Professor Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang as his running mate for the December polls.
Our Manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes
His choice of running mate was accepted by the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the opposition party.
The choice of the former education minister has generated a lot of buzz and discussions on social media since the announcement.
READ ALSO: Jane Opoku-Agyemang is a God-fearing woman – Mahama
She prevailed after stiff competition from former finance minister and governor of the Bank of Ghana, Dr Kwabena Duffuor, who is deemed to be favoured by the grassroots of the party.
This is the first time any of the two major political parties are going into an election with a woman on the presidential ticket.
Mahama described the former vice chancellor of the University of Cape Coast as a “God-fearing and distinguished woman”.
YEN.com.gh takes a dive into the achievements of Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang as Ghana’s education minister under the administration of John Mahama.
Her sterling record as Minister for Education is a healthy mixture of innovative policy initiatives, quality outcomes, and massive infrastructural development.
READ ALSO: Seven more die of COVID-19 in Ghana; total death toll is 129
Below are some of her achievements outlined:
1. She successfully championed the conversion of polytechnics into technical universities.
2. She introduced the unprecedented private Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).
3. She supervised Ghana’s overall best performing WASSCE nation award by WAEC for four consecutive years when she served as minister and the massive retooling and infrastructural development, which she tirelessly delivered.
4. She abolished the quota system at the Colleges of Education which led to enrollment increasing from 9 000 to 15 400, thereby creating more teaching opportunities for the youth.
5. She further ensured teachers were automatically posted without National Service and Licensure Examinations.
READ ALSO: 4 Ghanaian doctors who have died from COVID-19 in Ghana
6. Constructed 25 District Education Officers.
7. She increased the capitation grant by 100% for 11 650 public basic schools in 75 deprived districts.
8. She embarked on massive infrastructural expansion in all public tertiary institutions
YEN.com.gh earlier reported that the National Democratic Congress (NDC) flag-bearer, John Dramani Mahama has donated some KIA cars to the party’s communication officers.
According to the Daily Guide, the former president presented the vehicles to the party on Saturday, 4 July. Mahama also held a strategic communications meeting with all 16 regional communication officers.
"One hour for church and more hours for voter registration doesn't make sense" - Pastor laments:
Get interactive via our Facebook page.