- Ghana has taken delivery of 600,000 doses of the vaccine
- The president, his vice and their spouses were the first people to take the COVID-19 vaccine jab in the country
- The country also signed an agreement with the Russian government for more vaccine
Our manifesto: This is what YEN.com.gh believes in
Ghana on February 22, 2021, took delivery of 600,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine under the United Nation-led COVAX facility.
The AstraZeneca vaccine is licensed to the Serum Institute of India (AZ/SII).
President Akufo-Addo took the jab for the COVID-19 vaccine with his wife Rebecca at 37 Military Hospital on Monday, March 1, 2021.
1. President Nana Akufo-Addo being injected with the vaccine at the 37 Military Hospital.
2.The president scrutising the spot he was injected.
3. The First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo took her turn and she looked scared to the bones.
4. The vaccine against the ravaging pandemic
5. The fluid being drawn into the syringe as the First Lady looked on with a contagious grin.
6. The First Family of the land trek after taking their jabs.
7. Akufo-Addo and wife, Rebecca being briefed on the COVID-19 vaccine.
Ghanaians have been reacting:
George Goanue Luogon: Great for the people of Ghana. Hope our president and his cabinets can secure some for us too in LIBERIA. Kicking covid-19 out of Africa is and should be a collective effort.
Moor Grace: Nice one, but for me since you still have to observe the other convid 19 protocol even after taking the vaccine, I will wait until it is fully determined that the vaccine can completely protect you from the virus before I take it. For now u guys can go ahead with the trial vaccine
Hajj Shayawu: U should not have imported the virus in the first place by your unfruitful journey to Norway, failure to close our borders on time as proposed by the NDC and other well meaning Ghanaians, engaging in the 2 registration exercises & political rally with less and in some instance with absolute disregard to the safety protocols and so on.
Being professionally & proactive is really rather important.
Eeeeii is administering vaccines without hand gloves the new normal too?
God save Ghana.
Appiah Kubi Williams: Thank you so much Mr. President. I know some people will make plenty noises and will not take this vaccine for free today but will rush to pay for it later just like the Ghana Card.
Hon Emmanuel Boakye Obey-Prof: You love your people Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo...For such is the reason why God brought you in this very moment Ghanaians need you most. We love you Sir❤
In other news, the Chief Executive Officer of the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA), Delese Mimi Darko said Ghana is on the verge of manufacturing her own COVID-19 vaccine.
The FDA had already approved the clinical trial of herbal medicine, Cryptolepis sanguinolenta, for the treatment of COVID-19.
The herbal medicine developed by the School of Public Health at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) was submitted to the FDA for the clinical trial in September 2020 and approval was granted in January 2021.
Enjoy reading our stories?
Download YEN's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major Ghana news!