When you come to Accra fresh to hustle, it is almost like a new world.
The fast-paced nature of Ghana's capital might take some getting used to, especially for someone who is a "fresher" in Accra from the village.
Here are all the things we believe all "Johnny-Just-Comes" in Accra go through. You know it's true.
1. When you graduate from University of Ghana
...and you realise that the village is now too small for you. You have tasted the city and loved it.
2. So you pack your bags
...and move to Accra in search of greener pastures and better lifestyle.
3. But you mother raises a special prayer for you
...because the big city is a dangerous place, full of bright lights but dark corners.
4. And you finally arrive in Accra
...trying so hard to not look out of place so you smile at everyone sheepishly. "I have arrived!"
5. But you remember the "mate" who ran away with your "balance"
...after you were being all nice and courteous to him.
6. When you are seeking the cheapest accommodation
...and people introduce you to Nima or Bukom. "Mepawokyew take me back to my village."
7. When you finally find a house you like
...and agents and landlords finish dealing with you, draining you of all your cash.
8. And then the actual price of food in Accra hit you
...way more expensive than what you're used to. You remember your mother asked you to pray. “I like fasting anyway”.
9. And you meet that guy from your village
...but he ends up cheating you and showing you the ultimate lesson - no loyalty in the jungle oh!
10. When you close your eye in a Madina-bound trotro
...and wake up in Dodowa.
11. And you take steps to avoid the people in the village anyway
...because you're not going back until you make it in Accra.
12. That's when you begin to understand the phrase, "Accra Stay By Plan"
If you want to take it up a notch, you should read our complete guide to passing as an Accra big boy.
You can also read about the hottest footballers in Ghana that ladies will die for.