The kontomire stew is said to originate from a meeting of some Europeans and the indigenous people of the Elmina before Ghana got its independence. The nick name “palava sauce” originated from there. There are other versions of this stew in other West African countries but the kontomire stew in Ghana is a bit unique in its own way.
Ghana has always had amazing dishes, and this stew is no exception. The kontomire stew recipe can also be substituted with spinach kale and collard.
Preparation of Kontomire Stew in Ghana
To prepare the kontomire stew, you first need to have all the appropriate ingredients. They are what you will use to prepare the delicacy and you can access them in any nearby grocery store.
Kontomire Stew Ingredients
- 2 packs of kontomire or spinach
- Half a cup of Egusi
- Meat fish or mushrooms
- 2 tins of tomato plumbs
- 2 large onions
- 1 large pepper
- Palm oil
Kontomire Stew Preparation
- Clean the leaves thoroughly with clean water preferably warm water
- Cut the leaves in small sizes
- Chop an onion
- In a blender, blend the garlic, ginger, the other onion, pepper and chopped tomatoes
- Put the pan on fire
- Add the oil and let it heat
- Add the chopped onions
- Fry the onions until they turn brown
- Boil the meat separately
- Add the boiled meat to the onions
- Cook for 5-10 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, this depends if you like them chopped or blended
- Add the blended mixture prepared in step four
- Add seasoning
- Allow them to cook as you stir simultaneously
- Add your chopped kontomire or spinach
- Cook under low heat and make sure they don’t get burnt.
- Add the smoked fish
- Taste the salt
Kontomire stew can be served with yam, plantain or rice or gari. The stew has high nutritive value. In one serving of 163.3 grams there are 218 calories and 13 grams of fat. The carbohydrates are at 13 grams, protein at 13 grams. The dietary fiber is 3 grams and the sugars 4 grams. The saturated fats amount to about 2 grams.
From the nutrients it carries, the kontomire stew Ghana is very nutritious and should be a part of meals for those that want to gain weight. This dish is properly balanced and ensures that an individual stays healthy. The kontomire stew is indeed a dish that Ghana takes pride in. the above recipe is an easy procedure that can easily be applied at home. You should feel free to try cooking the Kontomire stew and am sure you will not regret it. The aroma and the rich taste of the kontomire stew is indeed priceless.
READ ALSO Best Ghanaian dishes for supper